Monday, July 19, 2010

Tweet Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick Review

Release date: June 22nd, 2010
Source: Publisher
My Summary: 
Claire's just been given the job of being the school's love advice columnist, and she is definitely not thrilled due to her lack of experience in that department. The guy she's been crushing on for years hardly notices her, and when he does, she's always doing something embarrassing.

But then Mr. Right, JD Whitcomb himself starts following her Twitter account, and she gets to know the man underneath. In the meantime, Claire's best friends Will and Bennett are caught up in a mess that's only unraveling faster and faster, and Lottie is pushing Claire to be more assertive and just talk to Mr. Right in public, not just in the Twitterverse....but what if Mr. Right isn't who she thought he was?
Review: Cute and unique, Tweet Heart is fun to read from start to finish. 

Told entirely in Tweets, emails and blog posts, the story of Claire and her three friends is set up perfectly. I've got to admit, I wondered just how Rudnick could possibly write this story, and make it easy to follow. Surprisingly, the format made sense (and I believe non-twitter users will find it easy to understand), and she managed to tell the story fully and completely. 

Rudnick lets us get to know the four main characters, although Claire probably does get the most focus. Will is a definite sweetheart, Bennett is completely amusing, and Lottie an incredible, supportive friend. Their relationships all make sense, and each character seemed very developed with different personalities. 

If you're looking for a quick, high-school-romance-gone-wrong-and-cue-the-resolution book, then Tweet Heart is definitely for you. 

Highlights: Creativity, for sure, regarding the format of the story. Plus, this story really was so endearing and sweet. I could easily sympathize with each of the characters, to the point where I didn't even know which character I liked the best. 

Lowlights: The plot is easy to predict, but that didn't really keep me from enjoying it. I knew how it would end from the very beginning, and I still enjoyed it. 

Rating:   


Lea

15 comments:

  1. This looks so cute and I'm a sucker for books in the epistolary form (or whatever it's called when you involve the internet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the above comments. I think it looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this book! It looks cute and very fun!

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! You're right, predictable doesn't mean an automatic negative. Great review!

    Alyssa
    Teens Read and Write

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm such a sucker for these types of books. It looks good, I'll have to pick this up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so fun and contemporary. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun and quick read. I'd be interested in reading this one just to see how the format worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review! I really enjoyed this one as well and it always amazed me how well Rudnick was able to tell the story using Twitter, emails, and blogs only. Also, like you I didn't know which character I liked best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw this at the bookstore the other day and was tempted to buy it, but I have too many books as is. I read a book by Meg Cabot years ago that was told entirely in email, voicemail, IM, and other things (not real dialogue). I think that format is so cute. Maybe I will pick this up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds fun! I'm a bit sceptic to the format though, I like "real" dialogue ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks really good - I love books written in out-of-the-box formats so this is definitely up my alley! Good review too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds like a fun, breezy read. I'll have to remember to check it out!

    ReplyDelete