Saturday, July 10, 2010

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs Review

Release date (PB*):May 14th, 2009
Source: Won from Tera
My Summary:
When Phoebe Castro’s mother tells her that she’s getting married, “happy” isn’t really the first emotion she’s feeling. But still, Phoebe and her mother leave behind their lives and move to the island of Serfopoula, to live with Damien, her mother’s new leading man.

But when Phoebe arrives, she might have more to worry about than the random guy her mother’s marrying (not to mention an evil stepsister) or even whether or not she’ll get a running scholarship to a college back in the United States. Why? Because everyone on the island (except Phoebe and her mom) are descendents from the Gods, and have special powers.

Add a hot god-like guy to the mix, and you just might be looking at a disaster.  
Review: With a quirky, fun narrator, Oh. My. Gods. is a novel that's bound to make you laugh, gasp, and want to jump to the sequel. 

Phoebe is kind of silly, and a fantastic narrator with a great sense of humor. She's one of those girls I'd love to be friends with, just because of her hilarious personality. The other characters and fresh and fun as well, if only a bit cliched. Stella, Phoebe's evil stepsis, was a fun character to hate. 

The plot is easy enough to follow, and depending on how you think, you might see the end coming long before Phoebe does. Yet, Oh. My. Gods. is fun to the point where I wish I could jump into the pages and stay awhile. 

Highlights: The story is fun and cute, very reminiscent of Meg Cabot's writing. I loved every second of this book, especially the relationships (friendships, romance, family), and the powers. This novel is the perfect book to read anytime you want to laugh and have a good time.

Lowlights: Hmm....hard to really pinpoint anything. Maybe some predictable moments, a few cliche's here and there...but honestly, I was enjoying it too much to remember anything specific.
Rating:    



Lea


*Paperback

17 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gods. does sound like a really fun book. I really want to read one of Tera Lynn Childs' books since they sound like such fun light reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really fluffy, but isn't that the kind of book perfect for warm summer afternoons? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review! I really enjoyed this book too. Unfortunately I was a little disappointed by the sequel, Goddess Boot Camp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder for this one. It was on my "to buy" list awhile ago but I forgot about it...it's back on - it looks really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tera is awesome! I can't wait to read the Gods books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect sum up! I'm usually not one for such light reads, but Oh. My. Gods. was just so cute and enjoyable. Hope you enjoy Goddess Boot Camp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun! I just finished and enjoyed Forgive my Fins so I'd probably like this one too. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute one! This sounds like a fun and entertaining book to read. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy fun reads. I'll make sure this goes on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I haven't read this one yet, but I may have to pick it up now. It sounds like a cute read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading Forgive My Fins I really want to try Tera's other books. They sound like such fun reads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great review! I've read and enjoyed this series, and now I'm really looking forward to reading Childs' new release: Forgive my fins! sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like such a cute read! I always love protagonists I feel like I want to meet in real life :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I read this one a month or two ago and ADORED it. And that reminds me, I have to read the sequel sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds great! (I adore anything that involves mythology, though, so that's no surprise!) I've been trying to track down this book for a while, but have never been able to find a copy. You've made me more eager to read it, so hopefully I WILL find a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! I really enjoyed this book. I especially liked Phoebe's devotion to her running. Female athletes aren't featured in much YA, in find.

    ReplyDelete