Friday, July 9, 2010

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade

The Ghost and the Goth
Stacey Kade
Release: June 29th, 2010
Source: Publisher
My Summary:
Popular girl Alona Dare seems to have everything going for her, at least until she dies in a tragic accident. Now she's stuck as a ghost, sometimes randomly disappearing and not to mention being completely ignored by the living (which she's not really liking). The only ones that can see her are the other ghosts that haunt the hallways, and Will Killian, without a doubt the weirdest guy at her school, and probably the only person who can help her find her way to the other side. 

Will is just trying to get through the next few weeks until graduation, and then he's gone. His unusual ability to see ghosts is one he tries to keep under wraps, especially from the ghosts themselves. Except, when he slips up, he realizes that he just might need Alona's help as much as she needs his.
Fun, surprising and completely endearing, The Ghost and The Goth is a fabulous debut!

The narrative switches between Alona and Will, and their personalities/voices are very different, which made it even easier to always remember whose narration it was. Alona is pretty, smart, and knows just how to get control of a situation. Will is more reserved, but definitely has an amusing personality.

The plot line surprised me at a couple points once I reached the end, and I was definitely glad to see a little twist here and there (instead of what I thought was going to happen). The Ghost and the Goth is a fun read if you're in the mood for a ghost story with a dash of mystery, romance and plenty of humor.

Highlights: The switching narration. Both of the characters shine, and help move along the plot. The main characters seemed nicely developed. Alona could have been the girl to hate, but I loved her character and found her personality hilarious. Will was so much easier to relate with right away, so props to Kade for creating great protagonists!

Lowlights: The story has slow pacing in the beginning, but it starts to pick up as it moves along.

Rating:  4.5 out of 5

Lea

16 comments:

  1. This sounds cool! Reminds me a bit of Megan Crewe's GIVE UP THE GHOST, which is a fabulous read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds way cool :) I need to check it out :)

    OMG Lara visits you?
    WAY cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is like the 5th blog that has written a review on this book. I guess I need to go out and get it!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one looks so cute and fabulous, I wanna read it asap. At first, I thought it was going to be one of those totally unoriginal paranormal YA books, but it actually sounds really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that we have the narrative from more than one POV makes this book sounds even more interesting, like a good experience to try. That was a great review! Thanks, Lea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is on my list. I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so eager to read this now. It sounds exactly like the kind of book I love to read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of people like this one - I will have to pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really good! I believe I have it on my list, but I haven't read any reviews until now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a enjoyable read really like that your review was snappy and on point great job

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this one would be depressing, but it actually sounds pretty fun! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! Sounds like a cute & fun read! I'm definitely putting it om my wishlist :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute one! People seem to be loving this book. It must be good, then. Gotta read it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like so much fun. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. I keep hearing that this book is good. I'll have to add it to my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! I read this one awhile ago, and while I did like it a lot, I didn't truly love it. Though, I am looking forward to reading the sequel.

    ReplyDelete