Saturday, July 27, 2013

YA Book Queen's Rating Scale


Current rating scale

In order to make my rating scale as simple as possible, I'm going to rely on these word-ratings in order to express my overall thoughts of a novel. 

Favorite (5+ out of 5): This story is an instant favorite, and I'm going to keep this one under lock & key! 

Loved (5 out of 5): I loved this book, and it has earned a spot on my bookshelves. I highly recommend this story. 

Highly Enjoyed (4+ out of 5): This story is fantastic, with only a couple small issues. This book is probably going on my bookshelves, and I recommend reading this story.

Great (4 out of 5): This story was great, very enjoyable, but has a couple issues. Regardless, I recommend this story!

Really Liked (3+ out of 5): This book was so close to being great, but not quite. Yet, it's still a very good story and worth checking out! 

Liked (3 out of 5): This book was very likable, but had many lowlights. I'm not sure if I'll buy this one, but I may revisit it again sometime in the future. As usual, I recommend checking it out before buying. 

Okay (2 out of 5): This book had a few good aspects, but not enough to make it a story I'll revisit. If you're curious about the story, I'd recommend checking it out first to see if it's for you. 


Disliked (1 out of 5)I wasn't a fan of this story, and it really wasn't my cup of tea. I'd recommend checking it out from your library if you're curious. 

Did-Not-Finish (DNF): I couldn't bring myself to finish. Regardless, I'd recommend checking it out at the library if you're curious. 



Previous rating scale: 
The Treasure Vault. This book is a new favorite and is worthy of keeping company with the crown jewels. I'd highly recommend this novel to other readers. If I could give this book a palace of it's own, I would. (Favorite: 5+ out of 5)

The royal library1, top shelf. I love this book, so it is going on the top shelves in the royal library where everyone can see it. I'd highly recommend this book, because it is an incredible story. (Loved! 4+ or 5 out of 5)

The royal library, middle shelf. This book is fantastic, worth owning, and has earned a spot in the royal library. I enjoyed this story very much, despite a few small issues, and would recommend this book to other readers. (Highly Enjoyed: 4 or 4+ out of 5)

The royal library, bottom shelf. I think this book is great and probably worth purchasing (especially if it's on sale). If I do purchase this story, it only earns a spot on the bottom shelves of the royal library. I enjoyed it enough to want to read it more than once, but I do have some issues with the story that I cannot ignore. (Really Liked: 4 or 4- out of 5)

Tea Party (previously known as The Great Hall). This book was very likable, enough that I want a copy in the palace even if it doesn't earn a spot in the royal library. I wouldn't buy this book, but if I was given a copy as a gift, I would likely keep it and reread it again. It's a likable story, even if it has a lot of issues. (Liked: 3 or 3+ out of 5)


The dungeons. This book had a couple good moments, but it also had many lowlights. I like this story enough not to exile it, but I'm quite annoyed with it, too. So, this story gets to spend some time in the dungeons, but I'll release (donate) it after a few days, and then I will likely never see this book again. (Okay: 2-, 2, or 2+ out of 5)

Exiled from the Queendom. Unfortunately, this book and I did not get along very well, and it has been exiled from my own personal life (via donation to library or another reader). It wasn't my cup of tea, but if it sounds like your type of story, I'd recommend reading a few pages / chapters before purchasing. (Disliked: 1-, 1, or 1+ out of 5)


Color Key
Green: Go for it! Read this book!
Yellow: Approach novel with some caution, but give it a chance.
Red: Read at your own risk.


1 I unfortunately do not have a royal library (and I'm also not royal, darn it). But hey, a girl can dream.... *skips through the library of my dreams*
2 Please excuse the ridiculous artwork. I was bored. 





10 comments:

  1. Lea, this is great! It's a fun idea, and it totally goes within the theme of your blog. Well done! I love the colour coding, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I thought it was time to change my ratings once I found myself debating about whether or a not a book was a 3.75 or a 3.8 out of 5. I'm excited to see how I like something that's a bit more flexible, where I don't have to get it exactly right!

      Delete
  2. I love this. What fun. Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This so so awesome! The Great Hall and Courtyard are pretty funny (in a good way of course). Love all the titles, Lea :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm quite fond of the titles - I had a lot of fun figuring out the titles for books rated 3-stars and less ;)

      Delete
  4. Looove this. Perfect fit for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how this fits your blog and is very interesting and descriptive as well!

    ReplyDelete