Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Siren by Tricia Rayburn Review

Release date: July 13th, 2010
Publisher: Egmont USA
Pages: 352
Source: Publicist
My Summary: 
Vanessa has always lived in Justine's shadow. Brave, beautiful and daring, Justine lived life to the fullest, while Vanessa tried to hide from it. Whenever Vanessa looked at her sister, she saw everything she wished she could be.
Paperback cover

Then Justine dies in a terrible drowning accident, and Vanessa learns some secrets that she never knew about her sister. Looking for answers, Vanessa teams up with Simon to find his brother, Caleb - Justine's longtime summer fling - who might be the only one with answers. Together, they search for him, but they also start discovering some disturbing realizations about the mysterious string of deaths in Winter Harbor. The more they learn, the quicker they realize they need to get to the bottom of everything, because who knows who will be next to die...
Review: Everything I wanted and more - Siren is captivating. 

Vanessa is sweet, innocent, and a bit scared of things (okay, a lot of things). Yet, this novel showcases her growth as she gets past some of those fears. Simon is the sweet, kinda geeky guy that Vanessa has always known and liked. I loved how Simon was a smart likable guy - something that's a bit rare in YA - and protective. I could keep going, talking about the other realistic characters, but then I'd be writing an essay.

I may be a bit biased, because I've always loved mythology. Siren, however, blew my expectations out of the water. Rayburn infused this story with a bit of romance, plenty of mystery that kept me saying "no way!", and a killer conclusion that has me wishing for another book about Vanessa, and fast.

A fresh, enchanting novel, Siren will draw you in and never let go. 

Highlights: The character's seemed real, which is the highest compliment I can pay to Rayburn. It was nearly impossible for me to set this story aside, it was so compelling and addictive. And while Rayburn's sirens aren't quite the same as they are in mythology, I enjoyed her take on them it worked perfectly with the story. 

Lowlights: You can easily see some of the plot points coming, if you really think about it. The beginning was also a bit slow to get going, but once it did get going, WOW. I loved this book! 
Rating:   


Lea

15 comments:

  1. Aww... Siren sounds so awesome to me since I first heard of it! I loved this review and how well you can summaryze your thoughts. Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a male lead that is smart and strong =)

    Thanks for this review. Just in time too because I seen it on the shelf today and I've meaning to look into reviews!=) THX!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review! I seriously need tp pick this up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a smart guy! Thanks for the review. I'm adding it to my wishlist now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree on the slow start but otherwise this was a great read!

    ~Alyssa
    Teens Read and Write

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygod! You had all the work to "translate" my post so you could read? How happy you think I am? Thank you so much, Lea! I'm smiling now from ear to ear! You a super rare and awesome person in this blogosphere. Thank you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I read this one a while ago and really enjoyed it. Oh, and did you know that there will be a sequel to it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice review! I just finished this one as well and really enjoyed it. I agree that it started a bit slow after the initial action of Justine's death, but it finished really strong. I saw some things coming, but not others, so I'm looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you liked this book! I haven't read it yet myself, but I've only been hearing good things about it. Excellent review, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I badly want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I have seen reviews of this book around, but I haven't read them thoroughly until now! (I didn't think a book with that cover could be so good) But after reading your review, I really want to read this book! (boring cover or not :P)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read this!! The cover is very eye-catching, and your review made me wanna read it even more!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of this book before, but wow, it sounds amazing! *adds to wish list*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome review! I recently bought this novel, and Im starting it as soon as I finish this comment :)

    ReplyDelete