Monday, September 28, 2009

The Hollow by Jessica Verday Review

Book: The Hollow
Author: Jessica Verday
Source: online at PulseIt
Summary:
When Abbey's best friend, Kristin, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead...and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shoes up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.

Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her--one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.
Review: This is a difficult book for me to review. First, I do not know if I can be entirely fair to the novel, just based off the fact that I read it online (courtesy of the fantastic Pulse It Program--which everyone should check out if they don't mind reading books online), and I spent a majority of the book being frustrated whenever the pages wouldn't load. (Darn my internet connection!)

That aside, The Hollow was...interesting. The beginning was a little blah for me, but as the book went on, I became more interested. This book was great at grasping my attention at points. Caspian's appearance in the book gets things moving, as well as when Abbey finds a secret(s) that Kristen hid from her. There were great points of intrigue, interest, but there were also spots where I didn't understand why it was in the book.

Abbey was, despite her sadness from losing her best friend, a great protagonist. I could relate to her, and I wanted to go make perfume after reading this (but then I remembered I'm horrible with things like that, I'd probably spill everything!).

Highlights: As sad as this sounds (and I don't mean it in a bad way), the end. We finally, finally, learn what's up with Caspian, and few more more secrets that made me go "Really? How awesome!". I wish it had all been thrown out there earlier, but I guess I'll be looking forward to the next book to see how it all plays out. I also loved how in the beginning of each chapter (or almost every chapter), there were little quotes from The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

Also, that cover is absolutely awesome.

Oh! And I love Caspian's talents. He's a pretty talented guy, and I enjoyed the descriptions of his gifts to Abbey.

Lowlights: Pointless descriptions of Abbey doing this and that. It wasn't relevant to the story. And sadly, I could not read the entire epilogue, so I have no clue what happens there. Does anyone know? Email me if you do! (Seriously, email me, because still as of June 2010, I don't know!!)

In the end, I think I was overly observant of flaws, just because of my annoyance with the page-loading issue. I think this is one book I should just go buy, and read again (because then I can turn the page instantly!).

Rating:    






5 comments:

  1. I want to read this one, but I think I will wait until my library gets it. I'm not a huge fan of books that have the characters doing things that don't progress the story and it sounds like this book has that. Great honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and honest review! Thanks! I have this one too and was so excited to read it. Then I hear mixed reviews about how it didn't quite live up to all the hype. One of these days I will read it just to know what everyone is talking about. Thanks again for an honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being honest Lea. I'm glad you still liked it, even though there were bits you were annoyed with. Lol, I know! The books on Pulse It load slow for me too! It drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's SO annoying that the pages wouldn't load. I don't know if I would have persevered like you did.
    I've been hearing bad things about this book, so the fact that you were able to give it 4 tiaras despite that is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol i've been hearing horrible things about this one.. idk if i want to read it

    ReplyDelete