Thursday, November 26, 2009

Hold Still by Nina LaCour Review

Hold Still
Nina LaCour
October 20th, 2009
230 pages (hardcover)
Publisher - Dutton
Source - Publisher
That night Ingrid told Caitlin, I'll go wherever you go. But by dawn Ingrid, and her promise, were gone, and Caitlin was alone. Ingrid's suicide immobilizes Caitlin, leaving her unsure of her place in a new life she hardly recognizes. A life without the art, the laughter, the music, the joy that she shared with her best friend.

But Ingrid left more than a memory behind. Devastating and hopeful, playful and hopeless. In words and drawings, Ingrid documented a painful farewell in her journal--just for Caitlin. Journeying through Ingrid's final days, Caitlin fights back through unspeakable loss to find renewed hope.
When I first picked up Hold Still, I wasn't sure what to think. I knew this was going to be a sad story, but it's also laced with humor, love, and everything in between. This is one of those novels that tugged at my heartstrings, and captured my attention fully.

I found myself really connecting with Caitlin. LaCour's development of her was amazing, because I honestly felt she could be a real person. She's up, and she's down while dealing with the aftermath of Ingrid's death. The discovery of Ingrid's journal doesn't help at first, it just opens more wounds. The novel progresses month after month, as the reader followers Caitlin in her process of healing, opening up, and becoming herself. LaCour really had me wondering at the end of the novel, just how well do we really know our best friends? It's a scary thought, to think about that, when you think that they would tell you if something was wrong.

Highlights: Caitlin's pain felt so real, so raw. The story seemed to flow at a nice pace. At the end, I just wanted more story, more writing. I cannot wait for whatever LaCour writes next.

Lowlights: I felt some of the other characters needed to be developed more. At the end of the novel, I still didn't feel like I really knew them.

Rating: 5 out of 5



6 comments:

  1. While I'm not much into contemporary stuff in general, this sounds like a winner. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I just finished this yesterday- it was amazing, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review! I heard alot of good things about this book!:)

    http://fantasysink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your review! This is totally on my wishlist!

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah i want to read this one! So excited! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review! I just read this last week, and I think you got it perfectly. The writing was so good,

    ReplyDelete