Friday, November 6, 2009

Beastly by Alex Flinn Review

Book: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn
From: Library
Summary:
I am a beast.

A Beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright--a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever--ruined--unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly...beastly.
Review: When Kendra calls Kyle out on being very beastly, in the worst possible sense, he hatches a plan. With his amazing looks, he knows any girl would love to spend the night of the dance with him, so he invites Kendra. After a turn of events, Kyle's night ends very differently, when a spell is cast upon him, making him look just as beastly as he is on the inside.

A fun and fresh retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Beastly is easily enjoyable. At first, I was skeptical as to whether or not the author would make me even believe that any of this was even happening, but the story was believable. The chatroom conversations were a little odd, but there were only a few, and were slightly entertaining. In the beginning, you can't help but to be all "Yeah, you deserved that," to Kyle, but by the end of the novel you're on his side (quite a dramatic change!).

However, at times I found Kyle's relationship with Lindy a little...well, inappropriate. He practically kidnaps the girl (even thought she had a horrible living situation), and I'm supposed to be sympathetic to his plight?

Highlights: Kyle's transformation (and I don't mean into a beast, I mean as a person, internally). He grew, and became a better person. I also thought that Alex Flinn did a fantastic job with description. I felt like I was there, seeing, breathing in Kyle's world.

Lowlights: Predictable (obviously) and I just can't get over the whole "kidnapping" thing (which also bugs me in the original B&TB).

Rating: 4 out of 5



-Lea

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I like the description of the book, but it's bad when it's predictable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I've not finished this one yet, I'm currently listening to it on audio. I am certainly on the "hey you deserved what you got Kyle!" side of the fence right now.

    I was mainly reading this review to see if I thought your reviews were too short and my conclusion - uh NOPE! Your writing is easy to read, your review gives pertinent information and the length is very suitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great review for a wonderful book :)
    I read it in two languages and it was irresistible both times, mabye even more the second time
    Recently I found out, that Alex Flinn wrote other modern tales as well and I am really tempted to order one ;)

    Yours
    Smarty

    ReplyDelete