Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick Review

Book: Hush, Hush
From: Bought
Summary:
A sacred oath

A fallen angel

A forbidden love

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgement.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen--and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.
Review: I'll admit. I got this partially for the cover. Come on, it is pretty breath-takingly gorgeous. I know, I'm a horrible person. However, the writing and the story were just as beautiful as the cover.

While there do seem to be a few similarities to Twilight, I still thoroughly enjoyed the story. Nora's your average teen girl, with one best friend named Vee. Her world comes tumbling down when bad boy Patch comes to town, and Nora's stuck being his lab partner.

The sexual tension between Patch and Nora was practically burning the pages. Usually I just roll my eyes at sexual innuendos in books, but I found Patch's amusing. Nora wasn't just another weak protagonist, but she wasn't the toughest one around. She seemed realistic, which totally rocks. The suspense was built up slowly, mystery and intrigue kept me curious from page to page...an all over success of a debut. 

Highlights: The tension between Nora and Patch. At times, it was completely hilarious to see how uncomfortable Nora got around him. Patch and Nora's characters were very well written too, I could visualize them and their personalities easily. Fitzpatrick's writing is addictive, I could hardly get enough that I needed to reread it all over again. 

Lowlights: Vee. Seriously, if this chick was my best friend, she wouldn't be for long. She's annoying, controlling. She doesn't ever believe Nora (where's the trust in that friendship?)...Who wants that hanging around? Plus, at the end, I felt like Patch was just kind of chilling in the corner when Nora could have really used some help. Not that I think a damsel in distress should be saved (save yourself girl!), I just think that if you can physically help, you should.

However, in the end, I really do believe this was a fantastic page turner. Hush, Hush kept me hooked until the very end, and has me very anxious for the sequel.

Rating:  



11 comments:

  1. I found Patch really sexy, but not as dreamy as I would have liked. I liked Hush, Hush but I guess I was just expecting more, considering the buzz around it. Hope the next book does better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I already put this on my tbr list. And yes I do hope I get this one for christmas. It really sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the review - Hush Hush was quite a good book...I am excited for the next one, I hope it's even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I enjoyed this one too and I totally agree about Vee.

    Elie (Ellz Readz)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review! And I am in complete agreement with you on Vee. She could have used a good slap or two.

    Definitely looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic review. Sexual tension? You bet.

    Best friend you should ditch pronto? Absolutely!

    I was just sorry Vee wasn't killed off in the end. The final straw for me was when she still wanted her (and Nora) to go camping with the guy who just assaulted Nora!

    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read this one! You wrote a fantastic, enticing review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED this book!! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete