Monday, April 23, 2012

The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour

February 16th, 2012
307 pages (hardcover)
Publisher - Dutton
Source - Purchased
Colby & Bev have a long-standing pact: Graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: She's abandoning their plans – and Colby – to go her own way in the fall.

But the show must go on, and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already growing distance and the most important question of all: What's next?
"We all want to feel something..."*

Goodbye high school, hello road trip. Colby's excited about putting college on hold and going abroad for the year with his best friend, Bev. So, when Bev changes their plans with a surprising and blunt truth, Colby's stuck with three girls (one of which he is furious at), a VW bus named Melinda, and absolutely no clue where to go after the tour wraps up. Things are even more complicated, since Colby's torn between his anger and his deeper feelings for Bev. As the tensions rise and secrets spill, The Disenchantments takes the characters through the struggles that reside in friendship, individuality, and adulthood.

Nina LaCour's sophomore effort is excellent. Colby's voice strikes a note of authenticity and relatability from the beginning, and you can't help but to feel as angry as he is when Bev changes their plans with minimal notice. As for the Disenchantments, they may be a terrible band, but they're great characters - you've got Bev and her secrets, Meg and her positive attitude, and Alexa's utter sweetness. Colby's relaxed and giving personality melds perfectly with this trio, but it's his journey and his character growth that resonates the most in The Disenchantments.

Highlights: Not only is this story music-orientated, but it's deeper than the light, carefree cover suggests. There's a nice mix to the fun and the serious moments, and I loved every second it took reading this story. The art aspect to the story was great, and I love how the back jacket cover of the novel ties into some of that. Colby, a male main character, was a wonderful narrator1. Even side characters were pretty great, and each seem fully developed.

Lowlights: Maybe a bit more page-time with some side characters. 

Rating: 


* pg. 271
1 We definitely need more male MC's in YA lit


Signature

Image + Summary from Goodreads


11 comments:

  1. I have this one but haven't read it yet. I love male protagonists though so I'll definitely have to read it soon. I haven't read a good contemporary book in awhile and so this one sounds perfect. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I didn't know this was written in a male perspective. Awesome! There really aren't enough of them out there. Glad you LOOOVED this. I'm still contemplating whether I want to wait for the pb or wait to see if HB goes on sale (remaindered, maybe?). Sounds freaking awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really glad you enoyed this one that much Lea :) ! I read tons of positive reviews on this book and I look forward to readi t !! I don't read enough books told by a male narrator :) !! Great review Lea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo I love that it's deeper than the colorful, care-free cover makes it seem. That's really good to know as otherwise I probably would have glossed right over this one. I'm really excited to try it now Lea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A mix of serious and fun has always been one of my favourites! I heard from a friend before that she thought this book was utterly depressing and that's what made me wary to start it -- but I'm really glad that it isn't! You just renewed my interest for this super-sweet-sounding book :)

    Awesome review, Lea! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Colby. His dreams dashed and they're just trying to make that last road trip memorable. I do wish there was a different cover, though. It just doesn't fit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a book that can mix fun and seriousness! I really like the sound of this one and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I should pick it up. ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you on the male MCs...I feel like I'm always saying that, but it's so true! Also, I like that you mention that this book is deeper than it looks. Not that the cover isn't pretty, because it is...but it looked kind of fluffy to me, and while fluff is good every now and then, I tend to like most of my books with a little more depth to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book so much! It's so emotional and beautifully written. I really loved all the characters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I received a copy of this recently and can't wait to read it, you gave it a good review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read this one. I've had an ARC forever, but just haven't gotten around to it. I am glad that you enjoyed it so much. And yes, we do need more male MC in YA!!

    ReplyDelete