Friday, April 27, 2012

Let's Talk: Underrated Books

What ONE underrated book do you want to share with the blogosphere - new or old? 

There are quite a few, but I think I'll pick:

Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue by Hugh Howey.


Growing up an orphan in the Milky Way hasn't been easy, especially as a teenage girl in the Naval Academy. Unfortunately for Molly Fyde, things are about to get worse. Just as she's finding her place amongst the boys, her unfair expulsion from the Academy takes away the only two things that truly matter: flying in space and her training partner, Cole. Sent off to a normal school, she feels destined for a dull, unspectacular future.

Then, a marvelous discovery changes everything: Her father's old starship, missing for a decade, turns up halfway across the galaxy. Its retrieval launches Molly and Cole on the adventure of a lifetime, one that will have lasting consequences for themselves and billions of others. What starts off as a simple quest to reconnect with her past, ends up forging a new future. And the forgotten family she hoped to uncover is replaced by a new one she never foresaw: a band of alien misfits and runaways... The crew of the starship Parsona.
I'll admit it - I initially judged this book by its cover. But, fortunately, the story inside truly surprised me in a good way. It's the first book in a quartet, and a truly great sci-fi adventure that has a wonderful protagonist and cast of equally memorable characters. Once you get a few chapters in, Howey's writing becomes addictive and difficult to set aside. The different worlds presented are easily visualized because of detailed descriptions. Action, adventure, twists (this series has great shocking twists), and even a little romance - this book deserves some more readers. I would definitely recommend this book for any sci-fi / adventure / mystery fan. 

Go to I Swim for Oceans to join in with your own choice!


Signature


"Let's Talk" image from I Swim For Oceans
Cover + Summary from Goodreads

8 comments:

  1. I can't lie, I would judge it by it's cover as well.. I can't help it! >.< but I will def. Go check it out now !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this! Thanks for sharing, I'll go check out Melissa's post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep it is really good. I've read the first two in the series and really need to get the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard this one either, but good to know it surpassed your expectations! I love it when that happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't we all just look at the cover first and when it's not doing anything for us we just don't read it. :( So sad, lol. Thank you for telling us about this book. It does sounds like a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool moon
    i'm dude/ dudes r different
    tnx 4 the recomendation

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the cover, sadly enough. How true is it that that's often the reason we bypass a book?!

    Thanks for linking up, Lea! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete