Friday, August 24, 2012

Why THE ARCHIVED Is On My Wishlist (And Why It Should Be On Your Wishlist Too)

I was patrolling Netgalley a week ago when I noticed a sneak peek for THE ARCHIVED by Victoria Schwab was available to read, and I quickly downloaded it for my Kindle. Fast-forward a few hours, and I was done, left both completely fascinated by the story and very upset that it is not January 22nd yet. But, while the release date may not be here yet, these are some reasons why THE ARCHIVED is high on my wishlist, and why this story should be on your wishlist too:  

Great Main Character
THE ARCHIVED features a strong and smart heroine with its narrator, Mackenzie. She's not quite like other YA protagonists, but I like that about her. Being a Keeper makes her unique from other bookish heroines, and I'm hopeful she'll continue being awesome as the story progresses. 

Interesting Narrative
There's (1) a main, present day narrative and (2) brief recollections of Da (Mackenzie's grandfather), and the latter proves itself to be very gripping. Sometimes little interruptions in narrations can be frustrating, but trust me when I say these ones will only make you want to keep reading. 

Strong Emotions / Writing
Mac and her family are still dealing with a death in the family, so emotions are a bit high-strung. Also, there's the fact that Mac's a bit more sensitive to emotions because she's a Keeper. Schwab manages to get these emotions to come across to the reader. I felt for these characters, related to them, and understood them. I just hope there will be some growth. 

Excellent Worldbuilding 
I was worried that the concept for this story wouldn't be fully realized and fleshed out, but I had no reason to worry whatsoever. Schwab expertly lays the groundwork for what it is to be a Keeper, what Histories are, and gives tantalizing glimpses into the Archive and the Narrows, giving just enough info at the right moments. Schwab seems to be developing this story slowly, so I'm sure there will be even more to learn throughout the entire novel. 

Multiple Mysteries
There are a few mysteries floating around in this story, and I'm curious to see what Schwab does with them.  

Wesley
He is a very intriguing young man....This sneak peek left off at an interesting point with him. 

It Will Likely Get Even Better 
I'm just guessing, but it seems like a strong possibility that this book will be fantastic. You can't go wrong with a fascinating concept and a great protagonist. 

January 22nd, 2013
Disney Hyperion
Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books. 

"Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often-violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn't just dangerous—it's a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da's death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall." 

Signature

4 comments:

  1. I downloaded the sneak peek too but haven't read it yet. Maybe they will make the book available for review later this year on Netgalley or Edelweiss so you won't have to wait till January :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded the sneak peak as well, but have not gotten a chance to read it yet. Loved this post though, and now I am very excited to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I was debating whether or not I wanted to download this sneak peak. I worry that it'll just make me want the book way too badly and I'm way too impatient to wait all this time for it. So I'll probably put off reading it until it actually comes out. Thankfully this preview of yours is perfectly sufficient to showcase what I'll have to look forward to! I'll say this first: I have not read anything by Victoria Schwab before. But from what I've read, this preview included, it really does sound like I am truly missing out. It sounds like she has a real talent for crafting spectacular characters and developing worlds. And everyone talks about her amazing writing skills. The interludes from her grandfather sound super intriguing! Gah, okay - so dying to read this now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, I didn't realize how long that comment would be...

      Delete