Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday (88)

WoW is hosted by Breaking the Spine

The Language Inside by Holly Thompson
May 14th, 2013 by Delacorte
A beautiful novel in verse that deals with post-tsunami Japan, Cambodian culture, and one girl's search for identity and home.

Emma Karas was raised in Japan; it's the country she calls home. But when her mother is diagnosed with breast cancer, Emma's family moves to a town outside Lowell, Massachusetts, to stay with her grandmother while her mom undergoes treatment.

Emma feels out of place in the United States, begins to have migraines, and longs to be back in Japan. At her grandmother's urging, she volunteers in a long-term care center to help Zena, a patient with locked-in syndrome, write down her poems. There, Emma meets Samnang, another volunteer, who assists elderly Cambodian refugees. Weekly visits to the care center, Zena's poems, dance, and noodle soup bring Emma and Samnang closer, until Emma must make a painful choice: stay in Massachusetts, or return early to Japan.
This seems like it could be a great emotional story. I'm also interested in reading more novels written in verse, they're always fascinating! 

What are you waiting on?

Signature

17 comments:

  1. Ah, such a great pick! I absolutely LOVED her last book, Orchards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O wow. Sounds amazing. Awesome pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a very timely contemporary since it incorporates post-tsunami Japan while also being very different from the other books out there. I'd like to read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds all kinds of amazing. I'm glad people are writing complicated and layered stories like this. Great pick!

    If you'd like, you can check out my WoW here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, very different and interesting! I think I'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read this book too! It sounds like such an emotional and gripping tale, so I can't wait for its release! Great pick! :)

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read a single novel in verse, I think I need to give one a go Lea! Also, I love that this one isn't set in the US, it's always nice to have a different backdrop and a new culture to explore when reading:) Awesome choice this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this one would make me cry a lot. Sounds really intriguing, especially with the multicultural connection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover reminds me a lot of one of Siobhan Vivian's books...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one does sounds pretty good. I haven't read many books in verse, but the ones I have, I've enjoyed. Great pick! Here's mine: http://whatsontheshelf.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/waiting-on-wednesday-9/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This one's new to me, thanks for putting it on my radar! I spent a year teaching English in Japan so I'm interested to see how Emma reacts to the cultural differences she faces when she moves to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pick! This is actually the first I've heard of this, but now I really want to read it. I absolutely love the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds really good. I'm definitely adding it to my list of books to watch for. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely adding this to my list - thanks so much for showcasing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, I haven't heard of this one before, but it does sound super good. Adding it to my wish list now. :)

    ReplyDelete