Monday, March 5, 2012

The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton

The Faerie Ring
Kiki Hamilton
Released: September 27th, 2011
Pages: 352 (hardcover)
Publisher: Tor Teen
POV: 3rd, alternating
Source: Publisher 
The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood—Tiki’s blood.

Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched—and protected—by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold...read more at Goodreads
"Na síochána, aontaímid: For the sake of peace, we agree."1

Tiki has the fastest hands in London. She makes life on the streets as bearable as possible by taking risks - if that means stealing from a dangerous drunken man or picking pockets, then so be it. But, when Tiki steals the Queen's ring from Buckingham Palace, the London she thought she knew turns upside down. Faeries are real. They're deadly, they want the ring, and they think Tiki knows exactly where to find it....

In some stories, fey are sweet. In Hamilton's The Faerie Ring, fey are deadly and intimidating. Anytime they make their presence known, feelings of curiosity and uneasiness arise regarding them. However, it's Tiki and her ragtag group of friends that make this story spectacular, not to mention some humorous moments. Tiki's caring and strong personality made her so easy to root for. While the plot may move in different directions, the story manages to be continuously intriguing and challenging to set aside. Everything about The Faerie Ring is enchanting, and it is a story well worth checking out2

Highlights: Hamilton made me care about Tiki (a fellow fan of books!) and the other characters. The map was a great addition, and the shifting perspective was nicely done. Whenever I thought I had everything figured out, another surprise surfaced and pulled me back into the story. The historical setting was easily visualized and character relationships seemed authentic. Also, Rieker was awesome. 

Lowlights: A bit too clean and quick of an ending. The plot seemed to wander a bit. 

Rating: 

1 pg. 31 
2 Seriously, just check it out. It's a great book!

Signature


Goodreads / Amazon / Barnes and Nobles / The Book Depository

Image + Summary from Goodreads

14 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this one for awhile. It sounds really good. I'll definitely have to pick up a copy soon. I love books with historical settings and the fact that it has the fey in it as well makes it even more awesome. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read good reviews of this book, but I still have to read it! I wonder why the ending was too quick, given that there's a sequel coming out. Anywho, great review, Lea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad ou liked this one that much Lea :) !! I read this one when it came out and liked it but I'm not planning on rezding the sequel because I didn't really connect with the characters and like you I found the plot a bit rushed ... Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this was fun. Loved all the historical aspects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I really enjoyed this book! It was a "clean" London--skating over the grime and grittiness of the city at that time--but it was a fun, quick story. I do agree about the ending...maybe because there's supposed to be another book after this one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely intrigued by this story, especially since you mention caring about the characters. Good characterization is a must for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love historical reads and with Faeries mixed in makes me want to read this more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had this book on my shelf for the longest time, but for the strangest reason, I never read it yet! Well, your review has convinced me to bump it up my list -- with intimidating faeries and an awesome heroine like Tiki, how could I not want to read it?? x) And I love historical settings too! :)

    Amazing review, Lea! Thanks so much for reminding me to read this book soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did like all the jumps and twists, but I think I love the idea of evil Fey more. Though, I wish we could've gotten know them more! And WHOA BABY, Rieker and Tiki totally brought on the steam. I liked this one. Glad you enjoyed it ;)

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely loved The Faerie Ring! Tiki was such a fun protagonist, and I loved her makeshift family. Stories of street children are always fun. :P And YES, Rieker! Loved him.
    Great review, Lea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got a finished copy of this book at ALA and I am so excited to finally getting around to reading it. It sounds amazing.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Faerie Ring sounds fabulous! I'm actually not a big fan of faerie books, but this one does sound very intriguing. I like how the fey in this book are not conventionally sweet. What a nice twist! Awesome review, Lea! :)

    ReplyDelete