Monday, April 11, 2011

Clarity by Kim Harrington

Release: March 1st, 2011
Pages: 256 (hardcover)
Publisher: Point
Source: Amazon Vine 
Summary:
When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case - but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother - who has supernatural gifts of his own - becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?
Original and captivating, Clarity succeeds in capturing a successful murder-mystery with a twist. 

Clarity "Clare" Fern isn't like all the other 16-year-old girls. While other girls are gossiping and hanging out, she's catching glimpses of past memories from objects she touches while working in the family tourist trap where they do readings for a living. The whole Fern family is gifted, but outcasts. Clare doesn't mind, so long as she's got her brother and BFF, Perry, around. She's got a tough shell and isn't afraid to stand up for herself. Clare's a wonderfully amusing narrator with an intriguing talent. Even better, her unique gift isn't overdone in the story.

The main focus remains solely on the murder that takes place in an Eastport motel. One thing leads to another, Clare gets roped into helping, and the dynamic mystery-solver trio is born: Clare, her scumbag cheating ex-boyfriend Justin, and the mysteriously sexy newcomer Gabriel. While the romance (tri)angle may attract some readers, I personally enjoyed the familial aspect. Clare's relationship with her brother and mother was so positive and strong - it's wonderful to see a YA novel with a parental figure who isn't dead/clueless and is alternatively present and in the know of what's happening with her children.

Highlights: Harrington successfully makes Clare's (and the members of her family) uniqueness seem plausible. Her gift could have easily veered off and become over-dramatized, but instead Harrington kept the focus on the mystery at hand (and not solely on her gift). Speaking of the mystery, that aspect of the story was incredible, from the sleuthing to the shocking reveal - it was an amazing ending, that's for sure! 

Lowlights: The whole new boy in town and instant attraction thing is clichéd, not to mention love triangles. And this story is so short that it only took me a few hours to read. While almost everything is wrapped up, it would've been nice if the story was a bit more fleshed out (especially regarding some of the characters - I wanted more depth from many of them).

Notes: Fans of The Body Finder will easily enjoy Clarity (and vice versa). Both feature girls with unusual talents, strong family ties, as well as a great murder mystery that will really make you think.

Rating:  


Signature

14 comments:

  1. Sounds just like another book I need to invest in! I'm glad there weren't a lot of "lowlights" in your review, makes me want it even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this one. I read it in just a few short hours because I couldn't put it down. I am glad you enjoyed it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! The murder mystery plot of this story was fantastic! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little put off by the things that you pointed out in the "lowlights" because some of those things are my personal pet peeves..but I've heard good things about this one AND I did enjoy The Body Finder so ultimately I think I'll end up trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Body Finder, so I think I will adore this one. Well at least I hope I will. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clarity is an amazing book! I agree with you that The Body Finder fans would love Clarity! I know I did!

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this one! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I keep hearing good things about this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this book around the blogosphere a lot, but I was never really sure I wanted to pick it up. But now I think I will, and the cover for Clarity is gorgeous too! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh i just won this one in a contest! if its like the body finder, i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard great things about this book and your review only adds to them :) This is going on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clarity sounds like a really great book and from your review it's a book I should go check out :)

    *Hi from the Comment Exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice review! I too really liked the family aspect. It's nice to see parents and siblings playing a role instead of being overshadowed by the love story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this story. I have Body Finder on my kindle now, if its along the same lines as Clarity, I should probably read it sooner than later.

    Again, kudos to your review format. I really like it. I am now a new follower.

    ReplyDelete