Saturday, October 31, 2009

Need by Carrie Jones Review

Book: Need
Author: Carrie Jones
From: Library
Summary:
Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling herself to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right--not human--in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.
Review: Zara is my favorite type of protagonist: strong (but still has her moments of fear) and confidant in her abilities. She has her flaws, but she's a great character who really cares about others.

Nick is sexy, mysterious, and practically has all the girls' swooning. He's strong, amusing, and protective. At first, I thought his relationship with Zara was a little quick and unbelievable, but they won me over in the end. As for Zara's friends, I wanted a little more with them, to get to know them a bit more.

The action kept me turning the pages, the romance left me breathless for more, and the all-around story kept me intrigued. Jones' makes one of the most harmless fairytale creatures seem deadly, which is quite an accomplishment.

In order to keep this spoiler-free, I'll just say this: Need is a page turner that makes you want more.

Highlights: Gram was the best side-character I've read about in awhile. She's funny, blunt, and completely cool. Also, the cover is just so incredibly gorgeous. I loved how the phobias were included at the beginning of each chapter, it was very fitting of Zara's personality.

Lowlights: I disliked how easily the characters accepted that there were pixies. If someone told me there were pixies, I wouldn't be all "I knew it!". I would honestly ask if the pixie-believer was on drugs. So, I really hated how easily it was accepted. I wanted more back and forth at that point, a struggle to accept. Also, there were quite a few moments where I had questions about bits that just didn't make sense.

Rating:   

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this book and can't wait for Captivate(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--I loved how pixies were seen as deadly and scary and the author made it believable. Great review! I can't wait for Captivate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't read this yet, but it sounds brilliant. I love the sound of nasty pixie people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I haven't gotten around to reading it yet but i'm looking forward to it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great review! I've been wanting to read this for awhile. Think I'm going to have to bump it up on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great in spite of a few flaws. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete