Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Shadowland (The Mediator #1) by Meg Cabot

Shadowland by Meg Cabot 
(The Mediator #1)
Release: 2004
Pages: 304
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Summary:
Suze is a mediator -- a liaison between the living and the dead. In other words, she sees dead people. And they won't leave her alone until she helps them resolve their unfinished business with the living. But Jesse, the hot ghost haunting her bedroom, doesn't seem to need her help. Which is a relief, because Suze has just moved to sunny California and plans to start fresh, with trips to the mall instead of the cemetery, and surfing instead of spectral visitations...read more at Goodreads.
Review: By and far some of Cabot's best work, Shadowland (the first installment of the Mediator series) is witty, fun, and full of heart. 

Susannah "Suze" Simon isn't your average teen: she can't drive, she wears a motorcycle jacket, and she's a mediator - a person who can see, speak and (if necessary) give ghosts that extra nudge (or shove) into the beyond. Giving up NYC life to go live in Carmel, California, Suze attempts to make the best of her new stepfather, Andy, and his three sons, Jake (Sleepy), Brad (Dopey) and David (Doc). But the moment she steps foot in her so-not-Suze bedroom, she realizes the move will be more difficult than she anticipated. Mostly because of the Spanish-speaking ghost that refuses move out of her bedroom. But in comparison to a ghostly Queen Bee named Heather waiting for Suze at her new school, he's the least of her problems. Being a mediator, it's up to Suze to deal with Heather, especially before someone gets hurt...or worse.

Every time I reread this book, I'm reminded why I love Cabot's writing (especially her earlier work) so much. Cabot includes intriguing storylines, characters you can't help but to adore, a strong/realistic heroine, and an abundance of amusing moments to keep your spirits up. Suze isn't some weak protagonist - she's not afraid to defend herself and the people she cares about. This is also one of the few paranormal stories that manages to keep family/friendship at the heart of the story, and I love how Cabot writes a light paranormal story where the family is present and cares about our protagonist (instead of killing off the family/making her parents completely suck like other books do). There's enough to keep a reader pleasantly surprised as well.

If you're looking for a lighter, amusing paranormal story for summer, then Shadowland is the perfect choice. 

Highlights: Suze's witticisms and attitude bring this story to another level. She is without a doubt one of my favorite book characters. Even her stubbornness makes her endearing. Many of the characters - from Father Dominic, Jesse, to the Ackerman family - are enjoyable and amusing because of how realistic and unique they are. I loved the California descriptions because it was a bit interesting to see Suze's reactions to the beach/palm trees/Cali life in comparison to NYC. 

Lowlights: Not quite enough is done with some of the supporting characters (especially Jesse, Ceecee, Father Dominic, and Adam), but it is only the first novel. Besides, I already know that all of these characters get more page-time later on. 

Rating: 


Read an excerpt at Meg Cabot's website



Signature

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great book, but that cover is just horrible. ;) I really should try a Meg Cabot book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! This review really makes me want to re-read all of them (okay, re-read most of them, since I never read the last one). =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! It's so good. Glad to see you enjoy it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only heard good things about this. I need to get my hands on it! Great review :D I love Meg Cabot.

    Don't be a stranger; stop by my blog and say hi! I'm not quite sure if we're fellow followers, but I follow you!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you,
    Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series, it's one of my favorites! I have actually been thinking about rereading this series for a few months now. This review may have given me the extra nudge to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore this series! One of my favorite from my earlier years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I think this is one of Meg's best books as well. I read it as well as the rest of the series years ago and just totally feel in love with the series and Meg's books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reallly like this series as well!
    One of my favorites by Cabot!

    ReplyDelete