Monday, October 7, 2013

Review: TORCHED by Andrea Lynn Colt




Title: TORCHED
Author: Andrea Lynn Colt
Published: September 2012
Series: None
Genre: YA Contemporary
Publisher: self-published
Pages: 370
POV: 1st person
Format: Kindle
Source: Purchased
Rating: The Royal Library, Middle Shelf
"Cheerleader Rose Whitfield's senior year goes up in smoke when she's framed for arson.

Sure that the culprit is her neighbor Paxton, with whom she's been feuding since middle school, she sets out to clear her name and take Paxton down hard--not necessarily in that order."

Rose Whitfield has it all: the perfect boyfriend, a popular BFF, the captain spot on the cheerleading squad and the top GPA at her high school. But, with a little fuel for the fire and the strike of a match, Rose's perfect life goes up in (actual) flames. Framed for arson, Rose quickly learns who her allies are when the people who should stand behind her – her boyfriend, best friend, and even her parents – don't seem to believe she's innocent. With only one person to rely on, and the absolute last person she ever expected to believe her, Rose digs for the truth. But thanks to her history of pranks that sometimes go awry, Rose discovers that she might have made more enemies during the last few years than she could have ever guessed.

A humorous and surprise-filled debut novel, TORCHED is an enjoyable mystery that will keep you glued to the pages from start to finish. Colt writes with plenty of humor, giving Rose an amusing voice that feels fresh and authentic. While the romantic aspect of the story is easy to see coming, it's an endearing inclusion that rounds out this mystery novel very nicely. Speaking of mystery, Colt keeps the suspense alive and burning throughout most of the novel – giving small hints here and there, but saving the reveal until much closer to the conclusion. Even when I originally guessed the culprit, Colt made me doubt my choice left me changing my mind repeatedly. If you're looking for a fun story with a dash of romance and plenty of mystery, I would highly suggest checking out TORCHED

Highlights: Colt's writing is fun, fresh, and very easy to enjoy. Rose's transformation and effort to be a better person was gradual and realistic. The romance was sweet and genuine. Each character was authentic in their own right. Honestly, as a whole, this book went above and beyond my admittedly low expectations. I usually equate low novel prices to low quality writing, but TORCHED is the exception. Also, I love that Rose named her car Cloudmonster. 

Lowlights: Rose spends a lot of time focusing on the (obviously) wrong person for a little more than a 100 pages, which I found a bit frustrating. OH! And Rose's parents. My gosh. What is wrong with them?!

Rating: The Royal Library, Middle Shelf. TORCHED is a fantastic story worth owning, and it has earned a spot in the royal library. I enjoyed this story very much, despite a few small issues, and would recommend TORCHED to other readers, especially if you're a fan of mystery, humor, and romance. 


4 comments:

  1. Love it when a book can make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm usually not a huge contemporary fan, but the mystery element of this one sounds fun. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of this one before but from your review sounds like I will really like Rose's change throughout the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I definitely enjoyed this one!! Actually I think I'd like to re-read it sometime soon. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

    ReplyDelete