Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday (102): NOT A DROP TO DRINK and 3:59

NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis
September 10th, 2013
Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….
Love the sound of this book, the cover rocks too. Why can't it be September??? I need this book! 

3:59 by Gretchen McNeil
September 17th, 2013
Josie Byrne's life is spiraling out of control. Her parents are divorcing, her boyfriend Nick has grown distant, and her physics teacher has it in for her. When she's betrayed by the two people she trusts most, Josie thinks things can't get worse.

Until she starts having dreams about a girl named Jo. Every night at the same time—3:59 a.m.

Jo's life is everything Josie wants: she's popular, her parents are happily married, and Nick adores her. It all seems real, but they're just dreams, right? Josie thinks so, until she wakes one night to a shadowy image of herself in the bedroom mirror – Jo. 

Josie and Jo realize that they are doppelgängers living in parallel universes that overlap every twelve hours at exactly 3:59. Fascinated by Jo's perfect world, Josie jumps at the chance to jump through the portal and switch places for a day.

But Jo’s world is far from perfect. Not only is Nick not Jo's boyfriend, he hates her. Jo's mom is missing, possibly insane. And at night, shadowy creatures feed on human flesh.

By the end of the day, Josie is desperate to return to her own life. But there’s a problem: Jo has sealed the portal, trapping Josie in this dangerous world. Can she figure out a way home before it’s too late?
This one sounds a bit eerie. I like the simple cover, it makes me even more curious about the story.

Looks like September 2013 is going to be a fabulous book month ;)

What are you waiting on this week ? 

Signature

13 comments:

  1. The first time I heard of 3:59 my thoughts went to demons because of the three o'clock similarity :$ Haha. But I love the thriller sound of 3:59 so much!

    My WOW post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang. Those are some seriously creepy--and awesome--sounding books! Plus, I really like the covers for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are great picks, especially 3:59. I love the sound of that one....definitely creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard about your first pick today, and I think it's just the sort of thing I'll enjoy. McNeil's new one sounds creepy, but I love the parallel world concept... so I'll probably be picking that one up too! Great finds.

    If you'd like, you can check out my WoW here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read both of these-really getting a creepy vibe but I'm going to be brave and check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover of Not a Drop is definitely gorgeous. I LOVE the sounds of 3:59, though---definitely going to be reading that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3:59 sounds really good! I like the idea of the parallel worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so intrigued with Not A Drop to Drink now and its making me wonder what things happened in that world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo, these are both new to me - I don't know how you do it, but you always seem to be able to come up with ones that I haven't heard of yet! Good ones, too! So totally adding both of these books to my tbr now. I also like both of these covers a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. NOT A DROP TO DRINK sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for picking DRINK as a Wow! I'm flattered!

    ReplyDelete