Sunday, August 30, 2009

Meridian by Amber Kizer Review

Book: Meridian
Author: Amber Kizer
Source: bought
Summary:
Meridian has always been an outcast. It seems that wherever she goes, death and grief follow. On her sixteenth birthday, a car crashes in front of her family's home--and though she's untouched, Meridian's body explodes in pain.

Before she can fully recover, Meridian is told that she's a danger to her family and is hustled off to her great-aunt's house in Revelation, Colorado. There she learns the secret her parents have been hiding for her entire life: Meridian is a Fenestra, the half-angel, half-human link between the living and the dead.

It's crucial that Meridian learn how to transition human souls to the afterlife--how to help people die. Only then can she help preserve the balance between good and evil on earth. But before she can do that, Meridian must come to terms with her ability, outsmart the charismatic preacher who's taken over Revelation, and maybe--if she can accept her sworn protector, Tens, for who he is--fall in love. Meridian and Tens face great danger from the Aternocti, a band of dark forces who capture vulnerable souls on the brink of death and cause chaos. But together, they have the power to outsmart evil.
Review: I was so excited to read this after my interview with Amber, and she did not disappoint. 

I loved the concept, that a normal human being is that light at the end of the tunnel that you see in death. Or, in this case, a window. It was so different from everything I've read lately, it was refreshing. I really believed everything that was happening, and Meridian was a very believable character. I really liked her, and how she took everything in stride. She accepted that this ability was just a part of her life, and she had to deal with it and control it. Tens was charming, and hilarious. Auntie was sweet and tough, and Custos (a wolf!) was so incredibly awesome.

Highlights: Meridian's ability. It's an interesting concept. She was such a strong character too, and that is always refreshing.

Lowlights: I hated the antagonist, and how he was just kind of there. First, he's creepy, and that's all I ever got to see. I wanted some big run-ins, and it didn't happen until the end. But, I have a feeling that I'll see more good vs. evil in the next installment. The ending was slightly bothersome, in that it was so convenient, but overall, the novel was super-fantabulastical.

Rating:    









5 comments:

  1. def going to pick this one up, great review, I like that you have 'lowlights'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review! I want to read this as it sounds like a really interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do great reveiws Lea. Awesome job on the blog. I'm a new follower. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you like this one! I can't wait til I can get a copy.

    ReplyDelete