Sunday, August 30, 2009

Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman Review


Author: Emily Whitman
Source: Borrowed
Summary:
Persephone lives in the most gorgeous place in the world. But her mother's a goddess, as overprotective as she is powerful. Paradise has become a trap. Just when Persephone feels there's no chance of escaping the life that's been planned for her, a mysterious stranger arrives. A stranger who promises something more--something dangerous and exciting--something that spurs Persephone to make a daring choice. A choice that could destroy all she's come to love, even the earth itself.

In a land where a singing river can make you forget your very name, Persephone is forced to discover who--and what--she really is.
Review: This novel contradicts the myth of Persephone. Here, Persephone leaves by her own free will, and Hades isn't really all that bad (ie: a hot guy).

I'm such a sucker for mythology, that I couldn't pass up this novel. I was pleased with the story, it was fresh, humorous, fun and current. I loved the author's take on the Underworld, and the people in it. This novel is just so hard for me to decide on, because I was so hyped up to read it (refer back to "I'm a sucker for mythology"), but in the end it kind of let me down. It wasn't jaw-dropping fantastic, but it wasn't bad either.

Highlights: I loved the fact that Persephone choose to leave. It's an interesting take on her story. And I really loved the locations (Underworld included). The description was wonderful, and I could have spent forever just reading about these places. 

Lowlights: Persephone bothered me at times, and her relationship with Hades felt a little fake to me. I hardly believed it, and Hades seemed underdeveloped. I felt like there should have been more to the story, and at times there were bits that didn't seem to matter. I wanted more story, more originality, because I knew how it would end. I wanted something crazy to be happening in between the beginning and end!!

Rating:   




Lea


4 comments:

  1. I reviewed this book too! I agree with most everything you said! Hades was underdeveloped but i think it was just cause the author wanted to focus on Persephone and her mom. Here's my review: http://bewitchingbooks.blogspot.com/2009/08/radant-darkness-by-emily-whitman.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't like it more. I've actually been dying to get this and can't til I have the chance to read and review it for myself. Thanks for the honest review.

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Errr there should be a 'wait' between 'can't' and 'til'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as you wanted to. I still like the sound of the book, the plot sounds intriguing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete