Monday, September 20, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Book: Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Release date: October 19th, 2010
Pages: 464 (hardcover)
Source: Publisher
My Summary:
When Calla Tor finds a stranger named Shay dying in the woods, she makes a crucial split-second decision that could cost her everything - she saves him, despite the fact that by doing so she breaks every important law that she has to obey, including letting him know of the Guardian's existence. But it isn't until Shay shows up at school that life gets a little more complicated. 

Being the alpha female of her pack of guardian wolves, Calla's been promised to marry Ren - the alpha of his pack. The Nightshade's and the Bane's, two packs forming as one once Calla and Ren tie the knot. As Guardian's, it will be their job to protect the Keeper's at all costs. 

But the closer Shay and Ren both get to Calla, the more conflicted she grows. Together, Calla and Ren make the perfect match for the pack. But with Shay, she's discovering more secrets about him, the Keeper's, the Guardian's past, and Calla begins to question everything she's ever known. 

In a story filled with loyalty, betrayal, secrets and love, anything goes. 
Review: All I can say is this: "I want MORE!"

Narrated in first person by Calla, I knew right from the first page I was going to enjoy her character. She's fierce, protective, but still a bit vulnerable and easy to relate with. Her pack was full of intriguing characters like her sweet little bro Ansel, a trustworthy friend in Bryn and plenty of other great secondary characters. Ren and Shay were the big surprises to me, because at first I thought it was obvious who was the better person and the better match for Calla, but by the time I reached halfway through the novel I was genuinely unsure of who the better one was (because they both are pretty great guys).

The werewolf lore is a bit different than normal, and intriguing. Scenes were Calla was a wolf were some of my favorites and the description was just right (not overbearing, but not lacking). Nightshade is packed with romance, jaw-dropping action, mystery and I couldn't get through the novel quick enough. 

In all, I'd say this is a stellar debut by Cremer, and I definitely wish that the second book was in my hands right now. 

Highlights: Calla's strength is definitely one of the best parts. She's totally as awesome as Buffy (The Vampire Slayer). The characters are very unique from one another. But the best thing I can say is the writing is addictive and it's very easy to visualize everything. I read this book on a 5-hour flight with an annoying person kicking my chair the entire time, and Nightshade distracted me and kept me from completely losing my sanity. 

Plus, I really hope they keep the chapter designs in the ARC the same as in the finished copy, because it really is pretty unique. 

Lowlights: The end got a bit predictable. I saw it coming from early on, but it didn't bother me too much. I was having too much fun reading to even care. 

Rating:   



Lea

25 comments:

  1. ooh, great review!! i want to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I have to say that the person behind you needed a kick! ;) Glad that the book took your attention from her/him away. This sounds like a great book to read, can't wait to read it. Thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one as well! I agree it was very hard to decide between Shay and Ren, Cremer did a beautiful job of making them both really appealing:) I liked Calla, but I think I'll like her even more in the next book since she was just starting to show some growth toward the end. Really enjoyed reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, and this whole time I have been just waiting to read it since it's on my shelf. Bumping this one up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear that the werewolf lore is different because I usually find it a bit dull haha this sounds awesome though! Great review, Lea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is my stack to be reviewed in the near future. I am really looking forward to it and I just love the cover.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review. I love books that leave me craving more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nightshade has one of the most gorgeous covers I have ever seen so far, and I am more than excited to read it! Awesome review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I can't wait to read this one! Great review. Maybe I should make myself wait until the second book is out, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review! Calla sounds like a character that I am really going to like. I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm planning to read this next month and hope I'll love it as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so excited to read this now! I love when you can visualize the story! Sound like she used good imagery!
    i CANT wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A character as awesome as Buffy? This I have to see. (Or, rather, read!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! Sounds like there's finally a love triangle done right. I'm looking forward to checking this book out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds soo good! I can't wait to read it! I've heard nothing but good things and can\t wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds so good! I'm ready for a strong female protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review. I really want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, man, I am so stoked to read this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Review! I loved this book as well :D

    ashleysbookshelf[@]gmail[.]com

    Also don't forget to check out my amazing giveaways located at the top of my blog posts.

    Ashley's Bookshelf

    P.S. I sell complete blog layouts made by me thru blogger template. If you would be interested in one please email for the prices and I would be extremely thrilled to assist you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE LOVE LOVE NIGHTSHADE! I am team REN! I've been trying to win a copy to pass down to the girls at Good Choice Reading so they can fall in love with Nightshade too! I read it through an ARC tour! hehe Great Review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't wait to read this! I want it sooo bad!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i can't wait. This sounds like a fascinating read.


    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the names! This sounds like a great story and a fantastic debut. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete