Monday, September 13, 2010

Interview: Jennifer Solow



Today I have the lovely Jennifer Solow here to talk a bit about her newest novel The Aristobrats, as well as Scuba diving and what one character she'd like to be for a day. 

1. Quick! Describe The Aristobrats in 7 words or less!
Like The Clique only smarter and nicer.

2. What was your favorite part about writing The Aristobrats?
It sounds weird, but being friends with my characters. I actually got to crawl back to eighth grade (without all that nasty adolescence in the way) and have fun. I feel like I’m a part of their loyal friendship. It doesn’t seem like something that came out of my own mind; it seems like we all met at La Coppa Coffee and shared a scone and a Mocha Mach.

3. "I couldn't have written The Aristobrats without...my daughter, Tallulah."

4. If you could be any character in any story, which character/story would you choose (and why)? 
Oooo! Good one! I think one of the most hopeful characters I’ve ever known is “I” from The Lorax by Dr. Suess – charged with the very last Truffula seed. “Plant a new Truffula. Treat it with care. Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air. Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack. Then the Lorax and all of his friends may come back.” I think everyone should feel a bit like “I” everyday – charged with the care and feeding of the future, large and small. 

5. What's next for you, writing-wise? 
I’m working on the next Aristobrats book.

6. And on Scuba diving (I asked her a question as a side note, but decided to put it in the interview):
Scuba diving is way cool! I get scared when I snorkel – like I’m going to crash against some giant rock when a wave hits. Scuba diving is a peaceful, quiet exploration of another world. It feels like you’re flying. Seeing an octopus completely change colors as it hops like a puppy from one rock to the next is indescribably lovely. I highly recommend it.

7. Anything else you’d like to add? 
I have a painting above me in my office. It says, “Sometimes I have to ask myself, ‘What would Cher do?’” The mantra has treated me well over the years – if anyone wants to borrow it upon occasion, they’re more than welcome.
 

Thanks so much Jennifer! :)

Check back for my review tomorrow!


Lea

10 comments:

  1. What would Cher do? Brilliant :) Super cute interview. This gal seems so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I hope to one day take my kids scuba diving, my husband has been before but the rest of us haven't, it sounds like an amazing experience! And I agree with Juju: "What would Cher do?" BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this interview! What would Cher do, that is so cute! Thank you for featuring this author, she sounds like such a neat person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous interview, ladies! I have not heard about this book yet. Thanks for introducing me to it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a good interview, Lea! Aristobrats sounds so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments, everyone! And thanks for being cool enough not to say, "Cher? Like from that movie Clueless?"

    Unfortunately my closet doesn't always live up to the Cher mantra - where's Bob Mackie when you need him?

    http://www.jennifersolow.com/http:/www.jennifersolow.com/what-would-cher-do/

    Stop by and say hello.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I wonder what you come up with for answers when you ask WWCD??? I don't think that I could even imagine...Funny! And, this series looks great.

    Here from the CEP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! The fun answers alone make me want to check out this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! I love the Q&A for #4 -- how fun would it be to hop into a Dr. Seuss book?!

    Aristrobrats sounds like a really cute read. I'm looking forward to checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I llove this interview, it was very fun to read.

    ReplyDelete