Monday, August 20, 2012

Review: Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Finnikin of the Rock
(Lumatere Chronicles #1)
Melina Marchetta
February 9th, 2010
399 pages (hardcover)
Candlewick Press
Source - Purchased
"At the age of nine, Finnikin is warned by the gods that he must sacrifice a pound of flesh to save his kingdom. He stands on the rock of the three wonders with his friend Prince Balthazar and Balthazar's cousin, Lucian, and together they mix their blood to safeguard Lumatere.

But all safety is shattered during the five days of the unspeakable, when the king and queen and their children are brutally murdered in the palace. An impostor seizes the throne, a curse binds all who remain inside Lumatere's walls, and those who escape are left to roam the land as exiles, dying by the thousands in fever camps.

Ten years later, Finnikin is summoned to another rock--to meet Evanjalin, a young novice with a startling claim: Balthazar, heir to the throne of Lumatere, is alive. This arrogant young woman claims she'll lead Finnikin and his mentor, Sir Topher, to the prince. Instead, her leadership points them perilously toward home. Does Finnikin dare believe that Lumatere might one day rise united? Evanjalin is not what she seems, and the startling truth will test Finnikin's faith not only in her but in all he knows to be true about himself and his destiny."
Once again, I am the idiot who almost gave up after reading only a few chapters of a Melina Marchetta novel. You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now, right? Thankfully, I dove back into the story (fourth time's the charm), and finally discovered that WOW-factor that I was previously missing. Like all other Marchetta novels, it takes patience and time for the story to bloom into something extraordinary. 

Marchetta skillfully and slowly builds a world rich in unique cultures, religions, and characters in her high fantasy novel, Finnikin of the Rock. There are journey's that sweep across the land, incredible moments of character growth, and the writing in Finnikin of the Rock will sweep you off your feet and drop you into a world filled with danger, surprise, and intrigue1. I tend to use the word "magical" when describing Marchetta's writing style, and this novel is no exception. Quite honestly, if you are not reading Marchetta's novels, then you are missing out on reading extraordinary literature written by one of the most talented YA authors of our time. Marchetta is a skilled storyteller, so don't miss out! 

Highlights: The small surprises and the simpler moments between characters made this story wonderful. The characters eventually became some of my favorites because they are so realistic, flawed, and intriguing. The plot itself continuously surprised me and it gave me some wonderfully thoughtful moments to reflect upon. The included maps were helpful. I wish I could spend more of my time rereading Finnikin of the Rock, flipping through the pages and savoring each moment. This book is that good. 

Lowlights: It was very difficult to get into but it was completely worth the time that it took before I became fully hooked.

Rating: 

1 I'm keeping quiet about aspects of the plot. Trust me when I say that you want to go into this story with only the book jacket information -- it makes everything all the more magical that way.


Signature

11 comments:

  1. YAYY!! I'm so glad you didn't give up :p I loved this one too, do you think you'll read Froi soon? I thought it was even better :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to pick up Froi at my local library sometime soon! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it even more than Finnikin :)

      Delete
  2. I only have read Jellicoe Road and that book is amazing! I def. should read more books written by her. Adding this one and her other books to the tbr list. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jellicoe Road is definitely amazing! You should absolutely check out some more of her books, especially this one. Finnikin of the Rock is incredible! :)

      Delete
  3. oH wow, Ive heard of this book before, and Ive also seen this book in the library but didnt know why i ididnt pick it up but it sure does sounds good and reading your review im sold! Im adding this on my list. thanks for the great review lady!x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a fabulous book - Marchetta has a way with words and characters. I hope you enjoy Finnikin of the Rock when you do read it :)

      Delete
  4. I couldn't get into Jellicoe Road, but I know I need to try again--everyone raves about it! I'll have to look into this one, too. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so many good things about this book but haven't picked it up yet. I don't mind a book that takes a while to get into, as long as the payoff is there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read one book by Melina Marchetta, and it's a contemporary novel, and I loved it. Can't wait to try her fantasy novel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, great blog. I'm new follower. Go to my blog and see if you like it.
    http://thepowerofwords-cm.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eep, I'm still a Marchetta virgin! I know, I know, I do feel like I am missing out on something truly great, like you say, but I think I've hyped her writing and characterization so much in my mind that I'm a little scared to start reading. But screw it! Her books sound way too good to pass up and I am really going to make an effort to read one of hers... soon. We'll see when I can get some free time in between review books. Thanks for the amazing review, Lea!

    ReplyDelete