Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson Review

Author: Jandy Nelson
Age: YA
Release date: March 9, 2010 (out now!)
Pages: 288
Source: Publisher
Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life--and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey's boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie's own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they're the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can't collide without the whole wide world exploding.
Review: The Sky is Everywhere is realistic, humorous, touching, and heartbreaking.

When Lennie's sister Bailey dies, Lennie hardly knows what to do with herself. She can't seem to get a grasp of who she is without her sister. It's bad enough that her own mother has been off traipsing across the world since Lennie was a baby, but now she's only got Gram and Uncle Big. But then Lennie meets new-boy Joe, and reacquaints herself with Toby (Bailey's boyfriend), and things get complicated. Each guy does something different for her internally, mentally and physically. The emotions of this story are so realistic, and so intense. Lennie doesn't know how to deal with herself, and these guys aren't making it any easier on her. Both are gorgeous, both seem to adore her, but it's really only one that makes sense in the end.

The Sky is Everywhere is truly one of those novels that make me say "Wow". With a cast of characters that are very authentic, likable, and interesting, this is one story that can't be missed. It's a story that's easy to lose yourself in, and it's so easy to get caught up in the emotions between the characters. The Sky Is Everywhere has humor, grief, love, loss...and Nelson makes it all work.

Highlights: The emotions were very intense, and obvious to the reader. It's one of those stories that takes you on a ride. Nelson's writing flows very nicely, making this one an enjoyable novel. I also really enjoyed Lennie's thoughts and poems written on random objects and spread across town. It added just a bit something more to the story, and I found myself looking forward to reading each of them.

Lowlights: At times, I felt like Lennie's best friend really pulled the realism down a bit. She seemed to over-the-top, ridiculous...I don't know. I liked the girl, but I didn't really believe in her. Lennie also was, at first, a bit difficult for me to figure out and I wasn't quite sure if she was my type of narrator (and by that, I mean likable, easy to relate to). Plus, I really just wanted Lennie to pick one of the guys, already!

Rating:    





Lea

15 comments:

  1. This sounds like a super cute book. I love the cover and the summary. Your review really makes me want to read it, especially after you said "it's one of those novels that make me say Wow".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved this book too. I did feel like Lennie's friend was a bit too much like a person you wish your friend could be more so than a real person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading mixed review on this one. But I love the premise and your review is great, so I will have to give it a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! This one does sounds intense!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant review, Lea! When, oh when will best friends stop being so superfluous and start playing a true part, front and center?!

    Oh, and thank you so much for your lovely words about my teaser...they made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVED this book!! Once I have money, I'm going out right away to buy it so I can start forcing people to read it! Seriously. I'm kind of obsessed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice review! I like how you divided the highlights and the lowlights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab review. I need to look in to this one.

    PS Thanks for not having word verification. Me no like'em :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I have this and I am so pleased that I do now. What a great review! I was a little reluctant to read this. I thought it would be sad but you've encouraged me with the fact that it has humour. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! This book sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, great review, it's made me want to read the book even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantabulous review! This sounds lovely. I've got to procure myself a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't heard of this one. I'll have to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I SO want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love when you love books..... This one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete