Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Line by Teri Hall Review

Book: The Line
Author: Teri Hall
Age: YA
Release date: March 4th, 2010
Pages: 224
Source: Publisher
Summary:
An invisible, uncrossable physical barrier encloses the Unified States. The Line is the part of the border that lopped off part of the country, dooming the inhabitants to an unknown fate when the enemy used a banned weapon. It's said that bizarre creatures and superhumans live on the other side, in Away. Nobody except tough old Ms. Moore would ever live next to the Line.

Nobody but Rachel and her mother, who went to live there after Rachel's dad died in the last war. It's a safe, quiet life. Until Rachel finds a mysterious recorded message that can only have come from Away. The voice is asking for help.

Who sent the message? Why is her mother so protective? And to what lengths is Rachel willing to go in order to do what she thinks is right?
Review: The Line was intriguing, mysterious, and wonderfully suspenseful! 

When I first started, I had no idea what to expect. Hall fills the reader in easily on the details of the world Rachel lives in. Naturally, the intro takes awhile to explain some details about the way life is, and how Rachel's mom Vivian works on The Property for the fabulously sassy-and-sorta-mean Ms. Moore. Vivian has always encouraged Rachel to be strong, smart, and to always question what the real truth is (which completely rocks). Rachel is brave, and a great heroine for this novel.

Rachel ends up working in the greenhouse, tending to Ms. Moore's flowers after an incident. I really enjoyed Ms. Moore's character, I never really knew quite what to expect from her.

As soon as Rachel finds the tape recorder with a message pleading for help, the true story begins. There are honestly moments that surprised me, the perfect sense of suspense filled the pages, and it had a very shocking ending that has me curious for the next installment!

Highlights: Once the action began, I was completely captivated by the story. I literally could not put the book down. I don't want to say much more plot-wise in this review, because I do not want to ruin the story for anyone.

Lowlights: The beginning was kind of slow, as it did the set-up. It took quite awhile to finally get to the suspense, the mystery and the action, but it was well worth the wait.

Rating:    

Lea

12 comments:

  1. Great review, Lea! I've been so looking forward to this one, and I really think I'm going to enjoy it based on your thoughts...thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super review! It sounds surprising and intense and fun, even if it does get off to a slow start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have been want to read this book and I can't wait until Thursday!! Great review, I'm glad all my crazy anticipation isn't for nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I haven't heard too much about this one. Thanks for reviewing it; it sounds like something I will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I have been trying to decide whether or not to read this book. Your review has made me decide in favor of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so much about this one! I'm glad you liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a good one despite the slow start. i've been wanting to read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good review! It sounds kind of like The Forest of Hands and Teeth or something similar. I like dystopian novels so I might enjoy this one.

    By the way, I wanted to pass this blog award on to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! You have an award (two actually) to pick up on my blog!
    http://yavampirebooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/humane-award-blogger-buddie-award.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  10. It SOUNDS really suspensful and overall really unique. Great review!

    And just to let you know: I passed a couple awards onto you here:
    http://smittenwithbooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/awards-and-some-other-very-good-news.html#comments

    ReplyDelete