Friday, October 30, 2009

How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier Review

Book: How To Ditch Your Fairy
From: Library
Summary:
Welcome to New Avalon, where everyone has a personal fairy. Though invisible to the naked eye, a personal fairy--like a specialized good luck charm--is vital to a person's success. It might determine whether you make a sports team, pass a class, or find that perfect outfit. But for fourteen-year-old Charlie, having a parking fairy is worse than having nothing at all--especially when the school bully carts her around like his private parking pass.

Enter: The Plan. At first, teaming up with her archenemy, Fiorenze (who has an all-the-boys-like-you fairy), seems like a great idea. But when Charlie unexpectedly gets her hearts desire, it isn't at all how she thought it would be, and she'll have to resort to extraordinary measures to set things right.
Review: How to Ditch Your Fairy was definitely doos.

This was such a fun fairy book, and a bit different from the norm. New Avalon is like a mix of Australia and America, and the slang was fun (and there's a glossary!). Doos is my new favorite word.

Charlie hates her parking fairy (and why wouldn't she? She can't even drive! Although I would personally love that fairy...) and would do anything to get rid of it. And boy, does she do a lot. When Charlie teams up with Fiorenze, things get interesting. Charlie comes off as a sweet, smart, athletic girl. Stefan was a fun character to throw into the mix (and his fairy rocks). At the end, she learns more than just fairy business. This book was entirely cute and awesome. Especially a certain chapter toward the end...*luge*....

I loved Justine Larbalestier's fairy twist in this book. A personal fairy? Umm, cool! But I probably would have something lame like Never-being-late fairy. Yeah, lame.

Highlights: Justine's writing kept me entertained on all levels (fun, romance, fights). Her novel was fun, fresh,bubbly, and totally doos. Plus, the glossary in the back is definitely a major help when it comes to the words she invented.

Lowlights: I hate the word pulchy. I'm sorry, I just do. Pulchy does not give me a "hot/sexy" vibe...Plus, at times Charlie really annoyed me, but then I realized that she's still a kid, only fourteen, and I was probably annoying at times too when I was that young, so I can't really hold it against her. ;)

Rating: 5 out of 5

3 comments:

  1. This book is so cute, right? I loved it so much! Great review Lea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good review. I think I would enjoy some of the Aussie terms. A glossary, how fun. I think I would like this book, I am adding it to the list.

    Elie (Ellz Readz)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. This put this book back on my radar. I really like your reviews.

    ReplyDelete