Friday, October 16, 2009

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan Review


Book: The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Author: Carrie Ryan
Source: Library
Summary: 
In Mary's world, there are simple truths.

The Sisterhood always knows best.

The Guardians will protect and serve.

The Unconsecrated will never relent.

And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village. The fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and it's secrets, and the Guardians and their power. And, when the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness.

Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?
Review: This novel was very well written. At first, I wasn't really liking Mary so much, but as the book went on a few chapters, I started to connect with her. Mary's one dream is to see the ocean, but an unrealistic one when she's living in a village all fenced in, to keep out the Unconsecrated. The beginning really slaps you in the face with the Unconsecrated, and I was surprised at what happens to Mary's mom, and then her brother's reaction. I had a hard time liking a lot of the characters like Harry, Travis, Cassandra, and Jed (Mary's brother). They all gave me reasons to just go "WHY? You like them why?". This story reminded me vaguely of the movie The Village but it was still original. 

Highlights: Mary's strength. I was always constantly frowning whenever something bad was about to happen, or happening, and Mary pulled through even when I thought she might not.

I enjoyed the dilemmas between Love and Commitment. I just wanted to smack some sense into a few people, though.

Oh, and some good creepy zombies. Ugh, still cringing at the thought of them...

Lowlights: The end. I hated the end. I hate it when a book does not give you a solid ending where you know what is going to happen, but instead leaves you feeling like the story is still incomplete. I felt like at the end I was still left with so many questions that never got explained.

Despite my unanswered questions, it's still a great book to pick up at the library.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5


6 comments:

  1. I've been really wanting to read this book, but it's hard to go end to something KNOWING that it has a crappy ending.
    Mary sounds like an interesting character, though. . . maybe if I can find it in the library, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb review. I was so close to picking this up the other day. But I refuse to buy anything until Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the end. I turned the last page and thought "This is it? No that cant be right." But it was the end and well, there is the next book to wait for *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I hate endings like that. I'll still have to see if I can read it at my library though,

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really want to read this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book, but you're right about the ending. I hated too. But, have you read the synopsis of The Dead-Tossed Waves (the sequel)? I think we'll find some answers there :D

    ReplyDelete