Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson Review

Book: Wintergirls
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Source: Bought
Summery: 
Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her stepmother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way - thin, thinner, thinnest - maybe she'll disappear althogether.
Review: After the first page, I knew I was hooked. 

Anderson created such a lyrical novel, embedded with little whispers of a story we don't quite understand just yet. We know Lia's suffering from anorexia, but what is it that haunts her? I was a little worried when I heard that this was another eating disorder novel, and nothing more. But Anderson has created a flawed character, and Lia's dealing with so much more than anorexia. Her dad is too blind to see what's right in front of him, her mom sees too much, and Jennifer just wants everything to be okay. It was heartbreaking to see a family try to be together, when they were really miles apart. Then to follow Lia through her dealing with Cassie's death, it was difficult, and emotional.

Highlight: I loved that finally, Lia made the right choice, even if it was a hard one. Also, I loved Lia's slow acceptance, the little messages running on the pages like a song you cannot get out of your head.

Lowlight: At times, it all felt like a bit too much. It's a very difficult novel to read, and to finish emotionally. This novel was powerful, heartbreaking, and raw truth.

Rating:    






2 comments:

  1. Excelent review. I've heard great things about Wintergirls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book too! Your review of it is perfect! I agree with everything you say. Definitely one of my favorite Anderson books.

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete