Thursday, August 13, 2009

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater Review

Book: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Source:
 Won, then bought
Summary
the cold. 

Grace as spent years watchingg the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf --her wolf-- watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why. 

the heat. 

Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now. 

the shiver. 

For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human--and Grace must fight to keep him--even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future. 
Review: I knew after the first seven pages, I was hooked. I loved how Sam and Grace's relationship was something that grew through the years, so that once they met, it felt real. Sometimes I get annoyed, when all the books I read have the protagonist fall in love out of nowhere (not that it couldn't happen, but you'd think feeling that strongly about someone would take a little time). I really felt like they could have been so in love, just from watching one another from afar...

Out of all the werewolf stories I've read, this is without a doubt my favorite one. The ideas in it make sense, the characters are perfect for the story, and it was all very original. I never felt like I knew how it would end (I just knew how I wanted it to end!). Grace's obsession with the wolves was a little odd to me, but I guess my obsession with books is a little odd to others, so I can't fault her for it. Sam was a sweet, adorable guy, and I couldn't help but to love him. I loved the minor characters, especially Olivia and Isabel (who grew on me eventually). In all, a fantastic novel, and I really need to see about checking out some Maggie Stiefvator's books at the library. If they are anything like Shiver, then I have found a new author to keep an eye on. 

Highlights: The minor characters definitely brought more to the story. They were fun, crazy, scary, and everything in between. Plus, I wasn't expecting to love this novel, I thought I just might like it. But I loved it.

Lowlights: Grace's family really disappointed me, but I thought they were highly realistic. Some people have parents like that, who never notice anything, and it's sad. 

Rating: 5 out of 5


 

9 comments:

  1. Nice review, I'm in the middle of this book and I love it so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this book but it sounds great! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...My Name Is Eleni And I Am A Bookaholic: Thanks! It really is a great story.

    Sarbear: You should totally check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this book and the praise just keeps on coming. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commented on the wrong post. Okay, I enjoyed Shiver too. I thought it ran a little slow in the middle but by then I cared about the characters enough to see it through. I was glad I did because it paid off well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cover and the description of the book. Six crowns is pretty good! And almost every review i read had praised the book..need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review! This book sounds so great! I want to read it! MY friend and I were just talking about it today, hopefully we can both read it soon! lol.

    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had actually started this book before looking at any reviews. Currently it's a little slow but it has enough mystery to keep me reading just to find out what happens!

    ReplyDelete