Monday, March 10, 2014

Highlights / Lowlights: FIND ME by Romily Bernard


Title: FIND ME
Author: Romily Bernard (Twitter)
Published: September 2013
Series: Find Me #1
Genre: YA mystery
Pages: 307
POV: 1st person
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: ARC
Source: Vine Program
Rating: The Royal Library, Middle Shelf

“Find Me.”

These are the words written on Tessa Waye’s diary. The diary that ends up with Wick Tate. But Tessa’s just been found . . . dead.

Wick has the right computer-hacking skills for the job, but little interest in this perverse game of hide-and-seek. Until her sister Lily is the next target.

Then Griff, trailer-park boy next door and fellow hacker, shows up, intent on helping Wick. Is a happy ending possible with the threat of Wick’s deadbeat dad returning, the detective hunting him sniffing around Wick instead, and a killer taunting her at every step?

Foster child. Daughter of a felon. Loner hacker girl. Wick has a bad attitude and sarcasm to spare.

But she’s going to find this killer no matter what.

Because it just got personal.

Highlights: Find Me is a story that readers will easily devour, thanks to the short chapters that are bursting with action. The romance was likable, if only because it did not overwhelm the story. This is first and foremost a mystery, and Bernard does not disappoint readers. Even though I guessed the culprit, a few red herrings made me second guess myself at every turn of the page. A strong sense of family (blood or not), and learning what it means to be family, is present. From the sugary sweet to the intimidatingly terrifying, characters were realistically written. Every single time I told myself I'd stop at the end of the chapter, I'd keep going. This was, truly, a hard novel to set aside. Wick's voice is sharp, fresh, and likable - she's no cookie-cutter heroine, and I enjoyed her character all the more for it. If you're looking for a fast-paced mystery that will keep you hooked, Find Me is the perfect story. 

Lowlights: I guessed the killer from the beginning1. Sometimes it felt a bit too fast-paced, it would have been nice to slow things down and get to know the characters a bit more – connect with them more.

Rating: The Royal Library, Middle Shelf (high 4 out of 5). Find Me is fantastic, worth owning, and has earned a spot in the royal library. I enjoyed Find Me very much, despite a few small issues, and would recommend this story to other readers who want to read an intriguing and surprising YA mystery. 


1 But, I'm very good at solving mysteries in novels. I should be a detective!2
2 Okay, maybe not. I'd probably accuse a bunch of innocent people, and it would just be terrible. 

12 comments:

  1. Eh, I hate figuring the big twist out right from the start, but I'm glad to hear you mostly enjoyed it! I rarely read mystery, so this would be a nice change of scenery ;)

    Great review, Lea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one! It's such a fast read. I too kept saying just one more chapter, until I had finished the whole book. The thing I loved most is even though I guessed the culprit, like you said, she did a great job making you second guess yourself. If your interested, I did an interview with Romily that will be on my blog tomorrow =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, such a fast read! Definitely of those books you just want to read in one sitting.

      Delete
  3. Ohh, I'm kind of happy that you mostly loved this book :) Though I kind of hated it :\ Sniffs. But I do understand why you loved it; and why others did as well. Just wasn't for me, hih. Thank you for sharing your awesome review. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like it! We can't all like everything, though :(

      Delete
  4. Fantastic review! I have never even heard of this book, but I will have to add it to my TBR list. I like that it's a fast-paced mystery…sometimes I need a break from all the fantasies or paranormals I have been reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't get into this one, but glad you enjoyed even though you guessed the killer early on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you couldn't get into it! I hate it when that happens.

      Delete
  6. Wooo, this one has had great reviews! Thankfully, I tend to be pretty slow on the uptake when it comes to mysteries, so I doubt I would be able to guess the identity of the murderer like you did. Heh, I would definitely be a rotten detective myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You'd probably enjoy the mystery then...it keeps you curious, until the big reveal.

      Delete