BEST BOOK-TO-FILM ADAPTATIONS
1. HARRY POTTER – Even with the small differences here and there, the movies still managed to keep that same charm and magic that the books had. Adore these movies!
2. THE HUNGER GAMES – Mostly true to the book. Even with the small changes, they still brought the story and characters to life.
3. THE LORD OF THE RINGS – My memory is admittedly fuzzy when it comes to the books, but I'm still putting this down as one of the best adaptations. I love these movies so much!
4. HOLES – I felt like they kept the same charm of the novel, even with the small changes. Guess it pays off to have the author write the screenplay!
STUCK IN THE MIDDLE
5. THE LAST SONG – I love the book, so I was a bit disappointed with the film. A handful of fantastic actors did such a great job as their characters, but even they couldn't keep all of the lesser actors from messing up certain moments.
6. WATER FOR ELEPHANTS – I feel like the film was very close to the novel, but I had some issues with the acting of the two lead characters. Sometimes they were good, sometimes they weren't.
WORST BOOK-TO-FILM ADAPTATIONS
7. THE LIGHTNING THIEF – I watched this movie before reading the books, and thought it was okay. After I read the books, however, my perspective changed quite a lot. I'm very nervous about the sequel, but I'm hoping that they'll stick to the story this time.
8. ELLA ENCHANTED – Oh my gosh. Thanks for ruining one of my favorite novels from my childhood. The novel is fun, charming, and whimsical. The film is not even worth your time, especially if you're a fan of the book.
9. THE SCARLET LETTER – I'm talking about the Demi Moore film, which was a mess. Even Gary Oldman couldn't save this film. It felt like torture when we were watching this film in school last semester!
10. ERAGON – I was surprised by how bad the film was. The books aren't anything special, but they're fun and perfect for film. Yet...it was bad. Saphira looked awesome, though.