Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (Times Two!)

WOW is hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting
Release: November 15th, 2011
Words are the most dangerous weapon of all.

In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she’s spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can’t be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country’s only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.
This just sounds completely awesome, and it'll be interesting to see Kimberly write something different. 

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
Release: September 2011
A modern-day thriller about Rory, an American high-school student who enrolls at a London boarding school for her junior year. Soon after her arrival, a series of murders begins to take place across the city—on the exact dates and in the exact style of Jack the Ripper. Rory’s ties to the killer bring her in contact with a secret paranormal branch of the British police, as they attempt to stop the mysterious killer.
I was sold at "modern-day thriller" - I love thrillers. You can't ever go wrong with Maureen's books. 

What are you waiting on this week?


Signature

21 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to these two books too. I think it will be fun to read a dystopian from Derting! The cover is fab. So is The Name of the Star. Love books about Jack the Ripper and Victorian England. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Derting, so I am excited about The Pledge. Fantastic cover too! I've been seeing The Name of the Star around a lot lately. Anything set in Victorian England is a book for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book on linguistics and how it is divides the classes disguised as a YA! Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the first cover. So creepy and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the sound of The Pledge. Can't wait until this one is out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to Pledge too, it sounds pretty good.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to them both! Great picks!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picks. Definitely getting both of these.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of Name of the Star before now, but it looks interesting. Hope you get them soon.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picks! I'm really looking forward to reading Both of these books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a sucker for anything that has to do with Jack the Ripper, plus I loooove Maureen Johnson, so I cannot wait to read The Name of the Star.

    The Pledge looks beautiful and sounds fantastic. I keep seeing this one everywhere. I'm sold.

    Melissa's Waiting On Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. They both sound awesome! I hate waiting for books that sound amazing, drives me insane!

    Especially when you have to wait over 6 months---that's pure torture!

    Check out my WOW Pick

    ReplyDelete
  14. Argh, I can't wait for these! Sometimes I wish I didn't know about books before they're released--it's so awful having to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Picks, I´d like to read them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of these look so good! Eek. Too many good books coming out!

    Lucia
    iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both of these sound like fantastic books. New follower


    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These both look great! Can't wait to read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol, my WoW's always seem to be times two... But great picks! I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE PLEDGE, and I've loved Maureen Johnson since reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both of these sound really good! I'm adding them to my wishlist :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete