Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Interview: Anna Godbersen


Quick! Describe Bright Young Things in 7 words or less!  
Innocence, experience, sin, gin and friendship.  

What inspired you to write about the Jazz Age?  
I had just written four books set in the uptight Gilded Age, so I wanted to write about a time that was really wild and anything-goes. Plus, I think our culture is perpetually fascinated with Gatsby-era tragic romance, and I wanted to take a crack at all that myself. 

Any teaser lines for Bright Young Things that you can share? 
“Cordelia’s eyes were wild, and there was so much electricity in every corner of her head and heart—she was too alive with awake dreams to try to have any of the other variety. She wanted to see the sun coming up in another state, and everything else the world had been holding just out of reach.”  

What do you absolutely need in order to write a novel (example: caffeine, music, et cetera)? 
A comfy sweater and a dreary day. (Okay, obviously ‘need’ is strong re: the dreary day, but it does help!)   

If you could spend a day in any time and place in the past, when and where would you choose & why? 
I don’t have any particular historical episode I’d want to drop in on, but I wouldn’t mind sitting on the beach on some sunshiny day in the mid-1920s French Riviera, where F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald lived for a while, along with their sometime friends and foils Gerald and Sara Murphy, who were fantastical bohemian hosts to the big names of their day (Picasso, etc).  


Thanks so much to Anna, and to The Teen {Book} Scene for setting up the tour! Want to know the next stops? Click here

Bright Young Things is in stores now (and I highly recommend it)! 



Signature

10 comments:

  1. I own all of the books in the Luxe series and I really enjoyed the overall message with each character by time book four came out. I picked up Bright Young Things from the library today so I can't wait to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. If I had a time machine and could visit any time it would definitely be the jazz ages/20s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun interview! I love the the 20s era :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my TBR pile. I can't wait to read it! The 20s is one of my favorite eras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute interview Lea, I can't wait to read Bright Young Things, I love that era! I would think a dreary day would help, it would certainly make it easier to be inside writing than wanting to be outside when it's nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Jazz Age and can't wait for the next book in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I really can't wait to read Bright Young Things :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! The 20s sounds like an interesting and happy time! Would love to read a book set there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! The 20s sounds like an interesting and happy time! Would love to read a book set there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how she brings other eras to life. Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete