Monday, December 13, 2010

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

Bright Young Things
by Anna Godbersen
Release: October 12th, 2010
Pages: 400 (hardcover)
Source: Bought
Summary:
The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties. 

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star… 

Cordelia is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes....read more at Goodreads
Thoughts: Just as addictive as the Luxe series, Godbersen does not disappoint with Bright Young Things.

After an intriguing and mysterious first-person prologue, the narration switches to third person and follows Cordelia, Letty, and Astrid: The girls of 1929. Letty, the sweet and slightly timid yet talented girl trying to make it in a big city. Cordelia, confidant at any cost, is attempting to fit into her new life. And then there's Astrid, sassy and a bit impulsive, who calls everyone "darling" and will have you wrapped around her finger in moments.

Each girl different and unique in her own way, and I always found it easy to be interested in each of their stories. Even when one of them was about to do something foolish, I still cared about them and hoped for the best. Some the young men of Bright Young Things could use a bit more page-time, but they each manage to stand out in their own ways.

The description is wonderful and the city comes to life with every turn of the page. From lavish parties to breathtaking views of the city to sweet romantic moments, each is described perfectly to the point where it's easy to feel as if you were right beside the characters. There's mystery, romance, secrets, drama, and by the breathtaking end you'll be wishing for the second installment.

Highlights: Godbersen knows how to write in such a way that leaves the reader incapable of setting her novels aside. The pages fly by quickly and the writing flows effortlessly. I can never get enough of her books, they always manage to completely and utterly captivate me from the cover to the very last page.

Lowlights: A few times where the pace slowed (it may bother some readers, but I enjoyed it nevertheless).

Rating: 5 out of 5


16 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around but have been hesitant in buying it. You make it sound awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like another fun series - although the slow pace might bother me. Good to know it's worth the read. Sounds like it really caught the fun of the era!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds amazing! It's a time period I haven't read much about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to finish the Luxe series over the holidays. I'm glad to hear Godbersen's next is just as good! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to read this book! I'm a huge fan of historical fiction!
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've actually heard mixed things about this one, but I'm so glad to see you enjoyed it, Lea! I'm dying to buy this and read it, too. Great review, as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like so much fun! I love books that make you care about the characters--have to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had been holding off on this one until I read some reviews. I just wasn't sure what to expect. Now I'll definitely have to pick it up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to start reading this series, but I haven't finished the Luxe series. What should I do? Start this one, or first finish the other one?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you're right about her novels feeling slow at times, regardless I'm excited to read this. GREAT review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're right about her novels feeling slow at times, regardless I'm excited to read this. GREAT review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved BYT and now am planning to read The Luxe books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review- I am so excited to read this! Love The Luxe series!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 5 crowns! Awesome. I can't wait to start reading it. I loved her Luxe series. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! Sounds like this series is going to be as good ad the Luxe series!

    ReplyDelete