Friday, September 18, 2009

Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Frostbite (Vampire Academy #2)
by Richelle Mead
Pages: 327 (paperback)
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Bought
Summary:
When love and jealousy collide on the slopes, winter break turns deadly... 

Rose Hathaway's got serious guy trouble. Her gorgeous tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason has a huge crush on her, and she keeps getting stuck in her best friend Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian. 

Then a massive Strigoi attack puts St. Vladmir's on high alert, and the Academy crawls with Guardians--including the legendary Janine Hathaway...Rose's formidable, long-absent mother. The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks. This year, St. Vlad's holiday ski trip is mandatory. 

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only provide the illusion of safety. When three students run away to strike back against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. Only this time, Rose--and her heart--are in more danger than she ever could have imagined...
Review: Does "Oh, my, gosh" cover it? Frostbite is a fantastic follow up to VA, and I can't wait to start Shadow Kiss now that I'm done with Frostbite. Rose is dealing with so much more in this novel: Dimitri liking another woman, her mom coming back, not seeing Lissa enough, Mason's feelings, and so much more.

This novel really dove into everything so gracefully, and I loved watching Rose's character develop and grow. Bringing in some new characters definitely added to the mix, Janine Hathaway and Adrian Ivashkov (who has an interesting secret...). While, admittedly, Frostbite wasn't quite as great as the first novel, it still rocked and managed to surprise me by the end.

Highlights: Rose's growth throughout the novel. She's a strong girl, and she has to grow up fast. Sometimes she still acts like a kid, but she grew immensely with everything she dealt with in this novel.

Lowlights: Possible foreshadowing? Lissa's medication not working as well...makes me a little nervous. I can't wait to see what happens with that...there are also a few slow moments, but the pace picks up.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

My other reviews in this series:
Vampire Academy
Shadow Kiss (#3)
Blood Promise (#4)


7 comments:

  1. I just reviewed this one too. I finished Shadow Kiss the other day and I liked it even more. I'm on Blood Promise now. This is such a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one! Great review:) Too bad the series goes sour-in my opinion. The logic behind vampires was really well thought out though..
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really enjoyed the series, up until bloop promise. It wasn't as amazing as the other three but it was still really good =) great review! You're going to enjoy Shadow Kiss! Best book out of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I am SOOOOO behind on the VampAcademy series! I haven't read a SINGLE one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic review! I'm a HUGE VA fan!! Its an awesome series, glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looooooooove the VA series!!!! I'm glad you love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, that oh my gosh is as far as I will let myself go.
    That girl on the cover almost looks like Buffy.

    ReplyDelete