Thursday, July 2, 2015

Mini-Review: THIS LULLABY by Sarah Dessen

Image from PenguinTeen


Title: This Lullaby
Author: Sarah Dessen
Published: 2012 (reissue)
Series: N/A
Genre: YA contemporary
POV: 1st person
Pages: 345
Publisher: Speak
Format: Paperback
Source: Publicist (for review)
Rating: The Royal Library, Top Shelf.

She's got it all figured out.

Or does she? When it comes to relationships, Remy's got a whole set of rules.

Never get too serious. Never let him break your heart. And never, ever date a musician.

But then Remy meets Dexter, and the rules don't seem to apply anymore.

Could it be that she's starting to understand what all those love songs are about?

Remy Starr is used to watching relationships fail - her mother, novelist Barbara Starr, is on marriage number five, while Remy is an expert in knowing when to break things off in her own love life. But when a clumsy musician named Dexter bursts into her well-ordered life, Remy finds that her usual rules in romance don't apply, and she might need to give up the rules she clings to if she wants a real shot at love. If you're looking for a sweet summer romance, a slightly complicated family, and a novel with awesome BFF's, This Lullaby is the story for you. 

Highlights: Easily one of Dessen's better novels1, This Lullaby is a delightful mixture of sweet and serious. Remy is one of Dessen's more mature and slightly pessimistic protagonists, with her cynical view on love and messy history. She's blunt, in your face, and isn't afraid to say whatever is on her mind, whether or not you want to hear it2. The love interest, Dexter, is an endearing sort of awkward, quirky, and sweet. Dessen takes care to flesh out each side character out with their own distinct personalities, and manages to create quite a few wonderful characters. While the romance is fun to read, the friendships and familial bonds are equally intriguing and well written. 

Lowlights: Hate Spinnerbait3.

Allusions: Scarlett Thomas from Someone Like You makes an appearance. And any Dessen fan will recognize many of the locations as well, since they are featured in Dessen's other books.

Rating: The Royal Library, Top Shelf: Loved, 5 out of 5. A story with fresh, believable characters and a unique protagonist, This Lullaby is more than just your typical love story.  


1 The Truth About Forever and Along for the Ride are still my top favorites, but this one comes close.
2 Naturally, she rocks. It's nice to read a Dessen book with a protagonist who is full of attitude. Very different from her other heroines!
3 Sorry. I had to put it somewhere.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really cute book :D I'm so glad you loved it Lea. <3 Not my type just yet, but you do make it seem so good. Sigh. One day :D Thank you for sharing about it sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. TTAF is still my favorite as well, but I enjoyed This Lullaby too. I am glad you feel the same way. You can't go wrong with Sarah Dessen in the summertime. I plan on re-reading Someone Like You and reading What Happened to Goodbye (one of the two Dessen novels that I still haven't read!) Great review, Lea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one too but like you, The Truth About Forever (and Just Listen) are my two favorite Dessen works follow by this one. I should probably re-read this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read one Sarah Dessen book before - Saint Anything, and I'm not crazy over it but I'm so glad you loved this one :) Though I probably won't read it, thanks for sharing!

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I really need to get into reading more of Sarah Dessen! I know I'm missing out. This is actually the first I'm hearing of the Dessen Summer Read-a-long by Penguin and I kind of wish I had learned of it sooner so that maybe I could have gotten into it. I'll read them someday anyways! This Lullaby sounds excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Remy's attitude is the reason why I actually liked this book. For many of her other books, the protagonist is kind of wimpy and mellow. But, Remy packs a punch that I really connected with and it made her very dynamic and in turn made this book one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete