Monday, February 18, 2013

Mini-Reviews: BETWEEN THE SEA AND SKY and PARTIALS

BETWEEN THE SEA AND SKY by Jaclyn Dolamore
Point-of-View: 3rd person
Source: Netgalley
Format: ARC

Refreshingly unique, BETWEEN THE SEA AND SKY tells a tale of a girl willing go to any lengths to save her sister. Unable to give up on her sister, Esmerine trades her fins for legs and ventures painfully onto land. Esmerine is incredibly endearing in this respect, because she has to withstand intense pain in order to search on land for her missing sister. While the story becomes more predictable as Esmerine draws closer to realizing the truth, the story remains enjoyable and captivating as Esmerine searches for her sister and for her own future. I was so fascinated by the world Dolamore created and how she used her mythology, from the mermaids to the winged people. Overall, an enjoyable story, despite some flaws.


PARTIALS by Dan Wells
Point-of-View: 3rd person
Source: Purchased
Format: Kindle

PARTIALS is a gripping start to what will likely be a fascinating series. Sci-fi fans might feel like they've seen beings like Partials (human-like robotic beings) before, but it doesn't keep this survival story from being thoroughly engrossing. The world building is top notch, as are the characters. There are some issues, like the overly wordy descriptions that feel like a bit too much, and also how everyone thinks Kira is an idiot when it comes to her idea for finding a cure for RM (it's a logical idea, so it seems like the author had everyone disagree for the sake of the plot). But in the end, PARTIALS is one fascinating sci-fi story that left me curious for so much more.


Signature

4 comments:

  1. Between the Sea and Sky is one I've heard mixed reviews about but I am glad you liked this book Lea! As for Partials, I've stayed away from dystopian for (I think) a year and I'd like to keep it at that (I have been so unimpressed with dystopians as of late.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Partials. It sounds like an interesting story and I'm glad you liked it. I'm glad to see more science fiction written for the YA market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely interested in reading Partials but I'll wait until more books in the series releases first before giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete